General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Feb-14 19:39:11
Print Post

FTTC ISP with static IP and high usage

[link to this post]

Hi all

I'm currently with BT Infinity 2 and should just be out of contract around today. I would really like a static IP (got used to having one with BE for years, and missed it for last 18months) but BT reports usage, and my average usage over the 18 months with BT is 149 GB. This is mostly video streaming (Apple TV from iTunes store, NetFlix, LoveFilm Instant etc).

So I've been looking around and realise that static IP and high usage don't really go together. AAISP's product is nice, but they think 100GB is a lot. So they're out. Zen and PlusNet are the only other two I can see, and Zen is pretty similar to the BT price I'm paying now (Phone+BB) but plusnet is noticably cheaper.

Since they're all likely to be 12 or 18 month contracts after a migrate, I wondered if there was anyone else I should be researching? I've found the BT network very good, and had zero problems, not needed to call support once in the time of my install.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Feb-14 07:41:58
Print Post

Re: FTTC ISP with static IP and high usage

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Is your exchange market three? what sort of budget do you have?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Feb-14 07:43:23
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
Is your exchange market three? what sort of budget do you have?

Yes, THFB, market 3. Looking to spend £45/m including phone and broadband.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shinerweb
(learned) Fri 21-Feb-14 09:40:08
Print Post

I've been with Plusnet for yonks and don't have a bad word to say about them.
The only issues I've had with my connection when I was on ADSL were BT Infrastructure related (underground wiring faults / overhead wire faults), which PlusNet chased up and got sorted in under a week in both cases.

I've got a fixed IP which cost me £5, unlimited bandwidth, and no obvious capping/performance issues on my new FTTC connection.

For the prices PlusNet charge, I wouldn't consider going anywhere else unless it was totally free and came with a free PA.

Chris

Standard User bsdnazz
(learned) Fri 21-Feb-14 10:02:38
Print Post

I have Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 which includes a static IP address as standard and phone line rental with them too.

Works well, is fast and has no usage limits or throttling.

My FTTC max rates are currently 90Mb/32Mb and my Sam Knows monitoring box says I average 74.6Mb/18.71Mb actual downstream/upstream data transfer rates.

Plus, I've found Zen customer service to be great.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Feb-14 18:42:57
Print Post

[re: bsdnazz] [link to this post]

Thanks,

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Feb-14 18:43:03
Print Post

[re: shinerweb] [link to this post]

Thanks.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Feb-14 22:35:18
Print Post

Plusnet do have static ip (one off fee of £5) and unlimited fibre (no usage cap) for 80/20 u will get around 72/17 throughput speed. (sometime 73/18) and still low ping around 9-11ms.

plusnetFTTC72/17 Meg
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Feb-14 23:25:34
Print Post

149GB per month isn't really high usage in the grand scheme of things especially with a FTTC based connection,
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Mar-14 09:14:58
Print Post

Not my usual style of pushing our own products, but we would meet your requirements http://www.aquiss.net/fibre-unlimited.php

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to