General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nanako
(newbie) Mon 24-Feb-14 18:47:12
Print Post

Need advice on a new ISP, switching to fibre

[link to this post]

Hello all. I'm in glasgow, scotland, and my isp is TalkTalk. I currently have ADSL with them, but i'm not happy with their service for various reasons, including most recently, getting line instability and disconnection 4+ times per day.

I currently get an average download rate of 5-6 Mbps, which is sort-of fine for my purposes. I'd appreciate faster speed (and i'm sure it's inevitable with fibre anyway) but it's not a priority. I also have unlimited download allowance, and that's something i'd like to keep, i know a lot of ISPs offer that.

I'd like to switch to someone else, and i'd like to switch to a fibre optic connection while i'm at it, mainly so that i can disconnect my landline phone and stop paying for Line Rental. I never use the darned thing.

I'm currently paying a total of about £35 a month to talktalk between line rental, broadband, phone service, and quite notably, a rather large extra charge for the privilege of being able to manually pay (as opposed to direct debit). I have a somewhat irregular income, so being able to pay manually is a highly desireable thing, and something i'd pay extra for. Failing that, the ability to choose when direct debits happen would be nice.

Aside from that, price isn't a major issue, the amount i'm paying is abnormally high, i feel, and i should be able to find the same price or cheaper without sacrificing anything.

if possible, i'd also prefer an ISP which actively opposes/resists censoring and filtering, especially when it's government mandated. i'm rather big on net neutrality.

My overall aim is to switch to a service that's simultaneously cheaper, more stable, faster, and most importantly, is anyone but talktalk.

To summarise my requirements in descending order of importance. My new ISP should:
1. Not be talktalk
2. Offer fibre optic connection, so i can stop paying line rental
3. Offer manual (non DD) payment, or selection of when direct debit happens
4. Offer unlimited download allowance.
5. Not be slower or more expensive than what i have now
6. Be pro net neutrality

Can anyone recommend another ISP that would suit all or most of my needs ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Feb-14 19:39:18
Print Post

Re: Need advice on a new ISP, switching to fibre

[re: Nanako] [link to this post]

No is the quick answer.

Can your area get Virgin Media cable, and what speeds do the checkers give for FTTC?

WIth FTTC based services like Sky Fibre, EE Fibre, BT Infinity you still need to pay copper voice line rental as its delivered over the copper pair. With Virgin Media its delivered over a metal coax cable, but there is the option to not have a phone line.

If you are insisting on a pure fibre optic, i.e. bit of glass into the home, then across the UK only 234,000 properties where that is possible.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Feb-14 19:43:56
Print Post

Show us what you have niow in terms of router stats?

What does this say about your # (but edit it out) down to foot of table only BT Broadband Availability Checker?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Feb-14 21:58:11
Print Post

LOL you don't want much do you.?
Not a chance in hell of having all those options available to you the nearest you would posibly could get would be FTTH or on demand, but both of those would be more expensive a lot more expensive than what you are paying now, and FFTH isn't only quite rare as it just isn't available in many areas of the uk, and then only the likes of the mass market isp's BT retail would sell it, and they aren't ant web blocking , infact they are no better than the devil your currently with

As for Virgin media Cable , again they censor and web block and also throttle traffic , not sure on the price,

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 24-Feb-14 22:01:27)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Feb-14 22:15:50
Print Post

What exchange is your line connected to?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

plusnet user
Standard User Nanako
(newbie) Mon 24-Feb-14 23:12:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
No is the quick answer.

Can your area get Virgin Media cable, and what speeds do the checkers give for FTTC?

I guess not
Sorry, your home isn't in a Virgin Media area

We've checked your postcode and unfortunately we can't bring you any Virgin Broadband, TV or home phone services.

Which is surprising, because i could swear they're sending me flyers through the letterbox offering virgin broadband all the time.

Which checkers would those be ?

WIth FTTC based services like Sky Fibre, EE Fibre, BT Infinity you still need to pay copper voice line rental as its delivered over the copper pair. With Virgin Media its delivered over a metal coax cable, but there is the option to not have a phone line.

what the heck? why would i have to pay line rental but not have a phone line. that is a very confusing distinction. o.o

I'm not really understanding the distinction between FTTC/H. I thought getting a new cable installed directly into the home was what everyone does now.
Standard User Nanako
(newbie) Mon 24-Feb-14 23:18:18
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
LOL you don't want much do you.?

really? :| aside from 3 & 6 i thought those requirements were pretty modest. Is the uk internet really this terrible?

Not a chance in hell of having all those options available to you the nearest you would posibly could get would be FTTH or on demand, but both of those would be more expensive a lot more expensive than what you are paying now, and FFTH isn't only quite rare as it just isn't available in many areas of the uk, and then only the likes of the mass market isp's BT retail would sell it, and they aren't ant web blocking , infact they are no better than the devil your currently with

putting the requirements aside for the moment then, what would be your personal recommendation? what are you using ?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 24-Feb-14 23:21:09
Print Post

Can't you just upgrade your TalkTalk connection to fibre?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Nanako
(newbie) Mon 24-Feb-14 23:22:00
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Show us what you have niow in terms of router stats?

What does this say about your # (but edit it out) down to foot of table only BT Broadband Availability Checker?

it says there's no data when i tried to check my phone number. Here's the results from checking my address:

Click here for picture
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Feb-14 23:29:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nanako:
what the heck? why would i have to pay line rental but not have a phone line.
How else are the electrons going to get to your home?

FTTC = Fibre to the Cabinet, the phone line cab serving your neighbourhood. A new fibre cab is built near it where the fibre terminates and is fed into your copper phone line at the phone cab. The most prevalent Fibre at the mo'
FTTH/P = Fibre to the Home/Premises, all the way. Fairly rare.
FTTB = Fibre to the Building grin, maybe to a hallway in flats. Most rare.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 25-Feb-14 00:30:09)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to