General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User super_pook
(newbie) Sun 23-Mar-14 08:19:32
Print Post

Gaming, fast, reliable.

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm currently on plusnet, which is usually quite fast, but I'm not happy with the reliability. I sometimes get packet loss and some packets take hundreds of milliseconds. I've consulted with their tech support team who say everything is fine. I disagree and suspect there's an issue with their TG582n routers.

I was on newnet some time ago and they were excellent so was thinking of moving back. FTTC became available on my cabinet last week and I have been able to order it from every isp I've checked for almost a week, but it isn't coming up as an option on newnet's ordering system.

I already have a MAC and I need to use it before it expires, so I'm after suggestions for ISPs that are quick and reliable for gaming. I don't mind spending a bit - newnet is £30 a month for the 40meg FTTC package.

I do stream video and this typically runs up to 200gb a month so it will need to be an unlimited package.

Many thanks in advance for your help :]
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Wed 02-Apr-14 16:13:04
Print Post

Re: Gaming, fast, reliable.

[re: super_pook] [link to this post]

Hi super_pook,

Sorry to see you've been having issues, was a fault raised for this?

If you've a static IP then it may be worth creating a TBB Ping Graph so we can see what exactly is going on.

Feel free to PM your username over and I can take a look at this.

Kind Regards,

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Mon 14-Apr-14 17:08:36
Print Post

I would recommend sky

been with them nearly 2years on FTTC

been a solid connection.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Apr-14 17:41:26
Print Post

One thing to remember with FTTC is that so matter which isp you choose none currently have any control over the BT Openreach DLM Apart from which DLM profile they choose to order they i believe have 3 choices, Most ISP's choose the one aimed at gamers , although this wont stop DLM applying interleave, which isn't that gamer friendly as anything that increases latency ain't good, So you may end up stuck in a min term 12-18mths with a laggy connection that the isp can't help you with (worst case senario)

FTTC may perform better than what your adsl does now, a lot depends on how far from the FTTC cab your are as well as the usual quality of the copper that run from the older cab (PCP) to your home, So if it's interference or crosstalk causing your current issues on that part of your line, then FTTC will likely be also impacted ,

The ISP should be able to manually configure your adsl connection , set to fast path to lower pings ,ect

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 14-Apr-14 17:43:44)

Print Thread

Jump to