General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User beardedwonder
(regular) Fri 28-Mar-14 15:17:13
Print Post

Moving House

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm moving house soon to a FTTC area, the BT speed predictor says 79-80 down and 19-20 up.

The current owners are on Virgin Media, there is a BT socket downstairs but they haven't been using it. I'm thinking about going for Plusnet. I would like a service that isn't 'meddled' with, I run a Slingbox for relatives in Australia so will need lots of upload bandwidth in the middle of the day.

I need an unlimited connection, don't really need IPV6 or a static IP.

From what I've seen Plusnet and Zen fall into my price range with my requirements. The only problem I can see is getting charged for connecting the phone line and any delay involved with sorting that out.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Mar-14 15:28:29
Print Post

Re: Moving House

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

"The only problem I can see is getting charged for connecting the phone line and any delay involved with sorting that out. "

From what you've said yes, that will be the issue. So a mobile dongle or tethering to tide you over for banking is best when moving.

If you checked speeds using postcode, I would suggest going back and double checking using the full address part of the checkers just to be sure on speeds.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Fri 28-Mar-14 17:17:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If you checked speeds using postcode, I would suggest going back and double checking using the full address part of the checkers just to be sure on speeds.

I used the phone number of a newsagents that's across the street and a few doors down. the full address gives the same speed prediction.

Is there a standard charge for reconnection? If the phone line is already in place does the engineer just have to phone BT to enable the line?

Thanks for your help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Mar-14 17:23:07
Print Post

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

There are standard wholesale charges, but at the retail level they vary greatly with various promotions that change weekly, so best to get quotes from providers. Generally £30 to £50 is the norm, absolute worst case if you went for a 1 month contract type service should be around £120.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Fri 28-Mar-14 17:55:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
There are standard wholesale charges, but at the retail level they vary greatly with various promotions that change weekly, so best to get quotes from providers. Generally £30 to £50 is the norm, absolute worst case if you went for a 1 month contract type service should be around £120.

When the move is closer I will ring around and see if I can get an engineer booked as near to the moving in date as possible.

Thanks again for your help.
  Print Thread

Jump to