General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User simpsonj78
(newbie) Mon 07-Apr-14 10:43:03
Print Post

Changing provider, speeds issue.

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

This seems a bit daunting for me but i have to ask you a question or 2 if that's ok.

Currently I'm with Coms (coms fibre 30 package) and with all the hassle and debacle i think its high time i moved providers are the download speeds are and will remain terrible.

My current speeds that i get are around 36meg down with a 6meg up. (when i can actually get full speeds). When i do line testers on many providers websites they are only listing an estimate of 20 down with 3-4 up. I just cannot find a matching speed provider.

Any ideas why this is guys?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Apr-14 15:25:02
Print Post

Re: Changing provider, speeds issue.

[re: simpsonj78] [link to this post]

You'll get much the same FTTC product from any ISP at your exchange. The FTTC is provided by BT Openreach. Beyond that it's down to the ISP's backhaul network, but the estimates are only of your sync speed to exchange.

All ISP's get their estimates from the inaccurate BTw database which often underestimates. It's only an estimate after all.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User simpsonj78
(newbie) Mon 07-Apr-14 15:29:43
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Ah you're a god man, thanks.

Could you recommend any provider in particular. There are so many, its a big scary minefield for me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Apr-14 15:35:10
Print Post

[re: simpsonj78] [link to this post]

Could depend on your usage profile.

Many Comms users are deserting to Plusnet I believe.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to