General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JPD
(newbie) Sun 13-Apr-14 23:16:20
Print Post

Broadband

[link to this post]

I am having a lot of trouble finding a service to suit me - the business services are aimed at (strangely) businesses, but do not seem to cover "one man" setups, however all the "home" services are aimed at FaceBook users who will not notice or care if their internet is poor

As an independent stock trader I am looking for broadband with a low ping and high reliability but I do not need a high download speed

I have currently tried:

Virgin Media which disconnected every 15 minutes but worked well when it was online

BT Fibre Broadband which is, graciously, consistently unreliable, instead of ambushing me with a disconnection when it is least convenient. About 1/3 of the time it will ignore an internet-based instruction be it clicking a link or typing a web address and I have to open a new tab and start again...this seems very much like packet loss which I thought was not a problem of 2014

Thanks very much for any help someone can offer

Edited by JPD (Sun 13-Apr-14 23:21:59)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Apr-14 01:45:55
Print Post

Re: Broadband

[re: JPD] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JPD:
all the 'home' services are aimed at FaceBook users
Yeah! You're right! None of them are suitable for HFT. You need your own exclusive $2.8bn dead-straight 800 mile fibre-optic cable just like the one they are laying between the Chicago & NY exchanges, so you can jump the ordinary punters.

BTW: Have you tried changing your DNS? Or just don't use domain names grin.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Apr-14 08:45:28
Print Post

Re: Broadband

[re: JPD] [link to this post]

I would say for your purposes you should be getting a business line anyway - residential lines normally have clauses about business and running a stock trading company is almost certain to break those clauses.

I'm not sure why you are having such problems. I assume the Virgin Media was over ADSL rather than cable? If so, then general advice would be to steer clear of VM ADSL.

BT should not have caused you issues. I have BT residential broadband and almost never have problems with connection.

So, what are that connection stats for your broadband? It is possible you are on a long/poor line and that no matter what ISP you go to you could get issues. If there is a problem then this needs to be sorted first. If it is a very long line then where you live may just not be suitable for this sort of work - BT work within the laws of physics and line length is key to how well ADSL/VDSL work.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to