General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User brandscill
(member) Mon 05-May-14 15:30:35
Print Post

Help recommend an ISP

[link to this post]

Hello, I will be moving back to a flat for several months which I previously lived in. I used to have Post Office broadband as they were cheapest and the time I was with them they were generally okay (until I left around the same time the switchover happened)

The property is on the Slinfold exchange.

I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a provider. I will likely move home mid contract and the new home will likely be in a fibre area so someone who will allow me to move for free and upgrade to a fibre product would be ideal.

Thanks for your help.
Standard User rego
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-May-14 08:18:05
Print Post

Re: Help recommend an ISP

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

As you are mid contract I'm sure you realise you will incur a penalty when you change provider, Who do you currently have your line rental contract with?. If it is one of the LLU providers there are often extra charges involved when changing ISP. There are some really good deals currently available, but most of them are for packages which involve a TV service as well. The cheapest Fibre offering is with Talktalk but it is an 18 month contract. I switched to them after nearly 8 years with Be when it was taken over by sky and I notice from the Be forum this appears to have been a smart move on my part. I can honestly say I have had excellent service from Talktalk but I have opted for Business broadband with them which is marginally more expensive but the support and service is 24/7 /365 and is UK based. Hope this helps
Standard User brandscill
(member) Tue 06-May-14 09:02:03
Print Post

[re: rego] [link to this post]

Sorry, perhaps I didn't explain clearly in the first post.

I am not in a contract at the moment and will be moving from a Virgin Cable area to a flat I used to live in last year connected to the Slinfold exchange. I will likely be living in this flat for a short period of time (3 months) and then will move on again to an area which is likely to be capable of delivering fibre.

So I'm looking for suggestions mindful of what can be achieved via the Slinfold exchange with a view to be able to move that service and upgrade to the companies related fibre product without charge (other than the increase in monthly fee for the fibre product)

Many thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rego
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-May-14 09:56:10
Print Post

I would suggest you give Talktalk Business a call and see what they can offer, their monthly broadband charge is slightly more than the domestic product i.e. 50p a month. But you have the service of a dedicated UK based team. 0800 083 2545 Their rates are certainly the lowest, and as said I have found their service excellent. I would add that a couple of years ago I would not have touched Talktalk but things really have changed in this ISP It is definitely worth calling round the other ISP's but from what I have heard from friends that transferred to Sky from Be, Sky really only want to sell their TV packages, and make heavy penalty charges if you do not take these.
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Tue 06-May-14 13:02:05
Print Post

[re: rego] [link to this post]

Hi rego

Do you know if Talk Talk offer their business service where they don't have any equipment in the exchange? I know their residential service requires this.

Many thanks
Standard User rego
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-May-14 13:20:08
Print Post

I don't know if they can offer the same package as on their own equipment, but you can only ask. If they have to use BT's wholesale then I'm sure the cost of any package they can offer will a lot more expensive.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-May-14 13:43:50
Print Post

One possible option would be to take Zen broadband and phone now on one month minimum terms and then switch to fibre at your future address with no activation fee http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/broadband/home-offi...

The Slinfold exchange, Market 1 and ADSL MAX only, doesn't really give you any cheap good quality options: phone would be WLR and broadband 20CN. However Zen would probably fit the bill in the short term and if you are happy with their service then a switch to fibre at the new address would be an option (and you wouldn't be taking on a "dreaded" full LLU service at any stage.)

I don't have Zen broadband myself but I do have their line rental and I can certainly recommend it smile

Edited by 4M2 (Tue 06-May-14 14:18:31)

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Tue 06-May-14 15:11:25
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Ooo thanks, will explore Zen.

The price they quote does that include line rental, couldn't see any break downs. I tried to dig deeper into the purchasing screens but they wanted a phone number which I don't have.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-May-14 15:51:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by brandscill:
Ooo thanks, will explore Zen.

The price they quote does that include line rental, couldn't see any break downs. I tried to dig deeper into the purchasing screens but they wanted a phone number which I don't have.

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/voice/phone-service... probably best to give them a call on 01706 902000 regarding line rental and mention that you are possibly interested in their broadband also smile
  Print Thread

Jump to