General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Xirix
(newbie) Wed 21-May-14 22:05:33
Print Post

Is BT Unlimited Broadband comparable to Sky's?

[link to this post]

I may need to change from Sky Unlimited Broadband to BT's Unlimited Broadband, I want to know if BT is any good? Their website says they don't throttle with their 'Totally unlimited broadband', but when it comes to say... torrenting, or other P2P things, are BT safe to use as Sky?

With Sky I never got throttled, never received any letters, is BT the same?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-May-14 08:46:42
Print Post

Re: Is BT Unlimited Broadband comparable to Sky's?

[re: Xirix] [link to this post]

Rules mean if they say totally unlimited there is no throttling

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-May-14 08:48:19
Print Post

You would only receive letters if you are downloading illegal material and it got picked up - and Sky would do exactly the same. So, no different to Sky from that perspective either.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Xplosion
(member) Thu 22-May-14 10:33:53
Print Post

'Totally Unlimited' means no throttling. Speeds may differ though; what exchange are you on? Is it 21CN?

TalkTalk Plus TV with Fibre Large
Standard User Xirix
(newbie) Thu 22-May-14 10:41:47
Print Post

[re: Xplosion] [link to this post]

I have no idea what exchange I'm on, I did a speed test and I get roughly 15mbps with Sky Unlimited right now though.
Standard User Xplosion
(member) Thu 22-May-14 10:46:40
Print Post

Okay, if you put your post code in here it will tell you which exchange you are on and I can see if BT is likely to be comparable on speeds.

TalkTalk Plus TV with Fibre Large
Standard User RossMcG
(newbie) Thu 22-May-14 11:19:22
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Sky seem to be going down the route of blocking public p2p sites like piratebay as opposed to lettering (although those sites are still available via proxy), I have never heard of anyone being lettered. Apart from Americans (who are on the strike system) and even then it seems release specific. The most recent I heard of was the sparks release of the new wolverine movie which seen loads of people lettered. I really cant see any UK ISP's sitting on torrent swarms cherry picking out their own IP's. Even if that does happen most will start using proxy's or a combination of a proxy and seedbox then opt for FTP.

I would be most concerned if any ISP was "watching" & closely monitoring internet traffic.

I have found sky to be a devil may care ISP, compared to the likes of pipex and aol who in the past cancelled my service due to excessive downloading, adsl24 (i think that was their name) were also pretty awful.

Even if they do throttle at times almost all torrent clients allow you to set a schedule, combine that with something like auto irssi and you are set. If leaving a PC on all night is an issue then a lot of NAS's can be set up to do the 'biz' for you and you can control your downloads via smartphone.

Legal downloads of course smile
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-May-14 13:43:02
Print Post

[re: RossMcG] [link to this post]

The big ISPs will be starting to do lettering at some point as that has been agreed with the goverment - both Sky and BT will be doing this.

And Sky only generally block where there is a court order and those court orders are invariably the big ISPs so also hit BT (and Virgin and TalkTalk).

So, for pretty much all of this there is no discernable difference between BT and Sky. The differences are more around specific support incidents / levels and potentially how hot they run their pipes - but again, there probably isn't much to tell between BT and Sky on either of these.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-May-14 13:47:57
Print Post

[re: RossMcG] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RossMcG:
Sky seem to be going down the route of blocking public p2p sites like piratebay
Not just seem! They are required to block ThePirateBay by Court Order.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RossMcG
(newbie) Thu 22-May-14 14:44:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I use the word seem as they are doing a pretty poor job of actually managing the blocks. All it takes is "piratebay proxy" in a google search to get around this.

Incidently I do not use TPB nor do i recomend it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to