General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Sun 29-Jun-14 14:30:21
Print Post

Utility Warehouse

[link to this post]

My parents have switched from BT VDSL to Utility Warehouse VDSL. Cost saving apparently.

Never heard of Utility Warehouse. Any good?

I went to visit my parents yesterday, and found they had no internet. Switchover had happened. They had wired it as per the ADSL instructions. So I refitted the Openreach box. But no DSL light.

So I called them, and they tested, and then came back to me, and said they had provided them with ADSL for two weeks. After that they would get VDSL. Huh?! They claimed they had sent a letter about it. No.

I put it back to ADSL, but it still didn't work.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Jun-14 18:08:14
Print Post

Re: Utility Warehouse

[re: stuorguk] [link to this post]

A reseller usually of the TalkTalk wholesale service

I assume they moved the telephone, in which case going to full LLU is likely and providers seem to like to do ADSL provide then migrate to VDSL later.

If the phone is working and the ADSL is not double check that the number is correct i.e. ring a mobile and then chase on the broadband side.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Mon 28-Jul-14 18:29:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on Utility Warehouse as well.
Came top of the Which? survey, but reading about them on the web isn't very reassuring; neither is hearing they are a TalkTalk reseller.
It seems odd there is so little about them on this forum.

--
BT Infinity 2, thinking of moving to PlusNet

Edited by StephenTodd (Mon 28-Jul-14 18:29:49)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-Aug-14 01:10:18
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

It's a sort of pyramid selling thing IIRC. Not just for broadband, but gas, electricity and dunno smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User kebabselector
(learned) Fri 01-Aug-14 08:34:04
Print Post

My friend used UW for Internet and seems to have no issues, but I guess the you only know how good someone is when you get problems. They used to be called Telecom Plus a few years back then got into selling other utility stuff.

I use them for Gas/Electric and I've got a mobile broadband with them (though the latter I might cancel as it's not used).

I'm happy to stick with Zen for internet, as no matter who I use my speed isn't going to get better. Plus Zen have been stable for the 10 years or so i've been with them.

Current on Zen, getting 4876 down - 744 up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, street cab not economically viable to upgrade.
Could get V*rgin, but I'd rather not.
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Fri 01-Aug-14 11:27:17
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Apart from the switch-over problem, so far so good.

Reselling TalkTalk wholesale is not the same as TalkTalk internet. Even AAISP resell TalkTalk.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Aug-14 14:19:34
Print Post

True it could be same, worse or better.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Aug-14 15:05:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by stuorguk:
My parents have switched from BT VDSL to Utility Warehouse VDSL. Cost saving apparently.

Never heard of Utility Warehouse. Any good?

I called them last year and I think their gas and electric prices were pretty good overall, ADSL and line rental would have been full LLU (TT enabled exchange.) If I remember correctly there was some sort of annual "membership" fee to pay as well.

I might have made a small saving with their gas and electric deal but at the time I didn't like what appeared to me as a hidden "membership" fee.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Fri 01-Aug-14 15:47:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's a sort of pyramid selling thing IIRC. Not just for broadband, but gas, electricity and dunno smile.

Definitely not pyramid selling.
Just a reseller of products.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-Aug-14 16:44:40
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Not in the strict sense of the term, and I wasn't intending to knock them by using it. There has to be some other description, but it evades me at the moment. My apologies.

A few years back we had several people on these forums, not necessarily on UW broadband or phone, recommending them like crazy in all circumstances. Regardless of whether it was the best thing for the person..

The reason being either or both of their considerable referral system and Seller scheme.

That was what I was remembering

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to