General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikanmart
(newbie) Sat 05-Jul-14 17:22:13
Print Post

Info on Virgin (BB--alas , too old for the other)

[link to this post]

Being thoroughly hacked off with BT BB, I was considering using my Virgin phone line which is Fibre Optic , was laid in more than ten years back and drove my TV and phone . Customer service on Virgin was rubbish eventually so I went to BT . BT are now unbelievably bad even going so far as to stifle criticism on their "help" forum , which seems to be like an exclusive club for some .
I still use the Virgin phone , which , since I left in a huff , has worked OK .
I contacted Virgin twice just recently to ask what is involved with setting up BB , with particular reference to the mechanical aspects , i.e. does it use a home hub that connects to the existing phone line at point of entry into the house or does it use the TV line which terminates in a room where I cannot put a hub .
All I get back are offers of deals and an assurance that my existing stuff will cope , it seems that to them that my space requirements are not an issue because "it's small enough to hide anywhere" .
The problem as far as I am concerned is that if the cabling has to be led to the site of the computer , it can't be done , the intervening rooms not being mine to access .
If , on the other hand , the Hub can be sited remotely and use wireless , I can put it where the BT one is (Maybe was) .
Please do not confuse me with jargon replies ; whilst I appreciate the spirit of people trying to be helpful , my fading brain won't grasp tech stuff .
Thanks for reading .
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Jul-14 20:14:51
Print Post

Re: Info on Virgin (BB--alas , too old for the other)

[re: mikanmart] [link to this post]

The virgin media hub supports wireless and ethernet and connects to a coax point which is usually where the tv set top box is

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mikanmart
(newbie) Sat 05-Jul-14 23:30:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mr Saffron ,
Thanks for the info . I feared as much , I vaguely remember asking the installation blokes when they were here many years back why there were two cables when the stuff that I was designing used fibre optic for all the interconnections including intercom in an aircraft .
So I may have to suffer BT for a while then .
Thanks again ,

Mike

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Jul-14 08:48:24
Print Post

Virgin is not actually full fibre, the same as most BT connections are not. With Virgin the fibre goes to a point in the street and then copper coax cable is used to bring it to the houses.
Standard User pantone
(learned) Mon 07-Jul-14 11:15:48
Print Post

If you don't want Virgin TV, what is the problem?

Virgin will put the box anywhere you want and you can get an aerial engineer to add a second one elsewhere (or diy from B&Q). Virgin's 152Mbps lines are amazingly fast, such that we are moving house and won't look at any that aren't able to connect to Virgin. The wireless networking is good too. We have a couple of old ADSL routers and a power line network connected to the virgin box to take wireless and wired ethernet all over the house and gardens.
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(member) Mon 07-Jul-14 12:08:19
Print Post

[re: pantone] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pantone:
If you don't want Virgin TV, what is the problem?

Virgin will put the box anywhere you want and you can get an aerial engineer to add a second one elsewhere (or diy from B&Q). Virgin's 152Mbps lines are amazingly fast, such that we are moving house and won't look at any that aren't able to connect to Virgin. The wireless networking is good too. We have a couple of old ADSL routers and a power line network connected to the virgin box to take wireless and wired ethernet all over the house and gardens.

Just because Virgin is good where you are living don't assume it will be good in another, Virgin are known for having oversubscribed UBR's (just look on their own forum). I personally know someone who went from having no issues with there service in one area and getting full speeds all the time, to moving to another and having just a fraction of the quoted speed (often under 1meg) and pings in the 100-400 range making the internet useless for anything other than browsing web pages.
Standard User pantone
(learned) Mon 07-Jul-14 13:27:22
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IranianGiraffe:
Just because Virgin is good where you are living don't assume it will be good in another, Virgin are known for having oversubscribed UBR's (just look on their own forum). I personally know someone who went from having no issues with there service in one area and getting full speeds all the time, to moving to another and having just a fraction of the quoted speed (often under 1meg) and pings in the 100-400 range making the internet useless for anything other than browsing web pages.

I hear what you are saying but also see a lot of blather in forums that is completely different from my own experience. So take everything you read there with a lorry load of salt. As with most things, it depends on time of day. If there is a World Cup match on, during the evening or weekend, then contention is not as good. During the day when I want ultra fast speeds, BT cannot even come close. Log onto Microsoft or Apple's servers and get over 20MB per second. Download a full HD movie in a couple of minutes. Some things come so fast they don't even register on throughput counters, they are as good as instantaneous.

After years of suffering pathetic ADSL, broken promises not just from BT but Cable and Wireless as well, we moved to Virgin and have no complaints. Recently I worked in an office which was within line of sight of the exchange a few hundred meters away. The BT supplied line was reasonably fast, in terms of 5Mbps, the Demon supplied line (we had both) from same exchange for supposedly same speed was a pathetic dribble.

I really think it is a mistake for TV, which works fine through the airwaves and there is a broad spectrum available, to switch to using fixed lines. Just as it is for telephone calls to switch from analogue or ISDN to ethernet. Separate networks maybe but our overloaded Internetworks are going to get fully loaded, just as they do at certain times of day.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Jul-14 19:50:42
Print Post

[re: pantone] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pantone:
I hear what you are saying but also see a lot of blather in forums that is completely different from my own experience.

Virgin Media's coax network is incredibly regional - what works fantastically for half of one town, maybe abysmal in a town 3 miles away. Some of this is related to the old franchises before they all got bought/merged - some of this is due (in student cities) to overloading by student-homes etc.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User mikanmart
(newbie) Mon 07-Jul-14 22:18:27
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Funny you should mention student cities and someone else mentions other franchises .
My Virgin system was previously (dammit I forget) Cable something? I dunno . Anyway , it worked ok , TV and phones . No computers back then like there are now .
Then our local university expanded and is still doing so , and suddenly the Cable TV was rubbish . Being tied into a contract didn't help , then right out of the blue someone else bought the system and things improved . Not for long though , then Virgin scooped it up .
Service rapidly became dreadful as did support , so I quietly dropped the TV side , but kept the phone which had always been good and for medical reasons I needed almost guaranteed access to outside help . Hence the BT phone in parallel .
Then BT offered Broadband so I borrowed a computer , tried it out and was hooked .
Over the years BT BB has blown hot and cold , more cold unfortunately , but the biggest problem was and still is customer service . Dreadful . I need say no more .
With regard to Virgin BB being a doddle to install it is if you have full access rights to a property . I haven't . I shall see if Virgin can send an engineer to look at the problem , there may be a way round it .
Thanks for the interesting replies .
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Jul-14 22:42:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by mikanmart:
Funny you should mention student cities and someone else mentions other franchises.

Here we were Cabletel -> NTL, which then merged with Telewest, became ntl:telewest, and then bought virgin mobile from Branson, and became Virgin Media. In my parents town they were Eurobell -> Telewest -> ntl:telewest -> Virgin Media.

The local franchise idea was one of Thatcher's last government, thinking that local companies could compete with BT on voice, and they were given the exclusive for television to enable competition. Obviously the planners missed the entire concept of mobile telephony and now data.

My place can get both, and here its a pretty good service, but a) VM don't offer static IP, and b) there is some interesting jitter in my area that affects VoIP services.

We have a VM Business line at work, which is not over the cable TV system and is fine.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed

Edited by jchamier (Mon 07-Jul-14 22:43:15)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to