General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Baritone
(newbie) Wed 16-Jul-14 12:41:38
Print Post

Which ISP would be reliable enough for video streaming?

[link to this post]

Is your ISP reliable enough for video streaming?
Are you able watch a 1 hour TV programme or an on-demand film via your ISP and expect to watch it through without interruption?

We get Virgin Media in Stevenage, but their service just isn't reliable enough to watch TV programmes or streaming videos online. We'd like to move to another ISP but the headline download speeds offer no clue about how reliable their service is. BT offer plenty of bandwidth but is it free from interruptions? We'd stay with Virgin Media if they could reliably deliver 5-10% of the peak speed, but they can't seem to manage even that!

Please don't suggest calling VM's customer service - I can't understand them most of the time!

Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

ISP: Virgin Cable 20Mbps, but NOT when I'm using Skype or streaming TV frown
"Optimism is what you feel before you understand the situation"
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Jul-14 15:00:32
Print Post

Re: Which ISP would be reliable enough for video streaming?

[re: Baritone] [link to this post]

Any/None! Depends on your connection speed from exchange. If it is sufficient then any else none.

I have no trouble streaming for hours on an EE connection @ 19-20 Meg. Same will go for any BTw based ISP.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Jul-14 15:05:57
Print Post

I'd be shocked and dismayed at any ISP that couldn't deliver a video stream if the actual connection speed was adequate. I assume (I hope!) you're a VM ADSL customer if you're having problems. What speed is your connection?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Baritone
(newbie) Wed 16-Jul-14 16:25:22
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

We're a Virgin cable customer, not ADSL. I gather from VM forums that we're not the only ones with reliability problems, even if I ignore people who really have a WiFi problem.

Virgin replaced our single channel Ambit modem with a multi-channel superhub four months ago but that didn't seem to make much difference to the reliability. Modem metrics (SNRs, errors etc) look OK.

Typical daily ping graph from 2 days ago is here (I hope):
My Broadband Ping

Virgin's last suggestion was upgrading to 30MB, while tying us in with a new contract! Now why would I want to do that?

ISP: Virgin Cable 20Mbps, but NOT when I'm using Skype or streaming TV frown
"Optimism is what you feel before you understand the situation"
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Wed 16-Jul-14 17:12:22
Print Post

Stevenage is quite a big place.....If you are in SG1 then you are right next to the exchange and any ADSL supplier will give you iwhat you want. I am in SG2 and ADSL was rubbish, (~3.2 Mbps). I went with Sky fiibre and sync, permanently, at 39999/10000 Kbps. No problems at all with multiple streaming.

Edited by Stevenage_Neil (Wed 16-Jul-14 17:43:10)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Jul-14 17:55:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by Baritone:
Virgin's last suggestion was upgrading to 30MB, while tying us in with a new contract! Now why would I want to do that?

Possibly you're on the legacy 10Mbps product which I think uses DOCSIS 2 protocol over the cable coax, and the newer speeds use the DOCSIS 3 protocol.

VM should know, its their network, but its possible that in your area DOCSIS 2 is oversubscribed, and DOCSIS 3 is fine - but you would need VM to confirm this before signing any contract.

VM has problems in regional ways, so they might be fine here in Hampshire, and awful in Stevenage. Switching to an FTTC provider would be a good move if you want higher speeds and consistency. It often costs a bit more than VM though.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Wed 16-Jul-14 17:59:38
Print Post

BT Infinity 2 here (Sidmouth, Devon).

Down 30Mbps, Up 12Mbps. Do see contention at times, dropping to 15Mbps occasionally.

Can have two people streaming wirelessly at the same time without jittering.

Hope this helps a little.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User rarrar
(member) Fri 18-Jul-14 09:04:09
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Any/None! Depends on your connection speed from exchange. If it is sufficient then any else none.

This is the issue !
There seems no way of telling in advance whether the ISPs connections beyond your exchange will cope with peak demands.
And with fibre contracts being over 12 months a real dilema in choosing an ISP for performance.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Jul-14 11:17:29
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Possibly you're on the legacy 10Mbps product which I think uses DOCSIS 2 protocol over the cable coax, and the newer speeds use the DOCSIS 3 protocol.

The guy has a Superhub, he's using DOCSIS 3.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Jul-14 11:18:16
Print Post

Are you hammering the upload on that connection at times, uploading content?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to