General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rudders
(newbie) Mon 18-Aug-14 17:27:52
Print Post

Cheapest Fibre Backup?

[link to this post]

We are now into our 9th day without our fibre connection. BT's "engineers" have so far failed us hilariously.
The first one diagnosed a cable problem but couldn't climb poles because of an ear condition. The second one could probably have climbed the pole without a ladder, but knew nothing about broadband, only phones. The third one was smart and diagnosed a cabinet problem, but couldn't fix it. We think a 4th one may have come out to the cabinet, but the connection only stayed up a few hours. So after 2 days off work so far and a 5th appointment to come, things are frustrating to say the least.

To avoid such pain in the future we want to install a second phone line to the house but with ordinary ADSL broadband, so that cabinet issues are not a factor. Obviously this would not get used much, so I'm after the very cheapest solution possible. It can be capped, shaped, parentally filtered, whatever - we don't care, as anything would be better than nothing. And the phone would never get used.
We're rural, so it will have to be on BT wires.

I should add that the exchange is Abinger and mobile reception is poor.

Got any suggestions?

Edited by rudders (Mon 18-Aug-14 17:32:03)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 18-Aug-14 17:34:48
Print Post

Re: Cheapest Fibre Backup?

[re: rudders] [link to this post]

Do you have Sky TV? They give you free broadband with that.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User rudders
(newbie) Mon 18-Aug-14 17:43:15
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It's a good thought, thanks, but we're anti-Murdoch so only Freesat.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Aug-14 17:45:01
Print Post

You could look at the cheapest Primus line rental on this page and Plusnet broadband, (bearing in mind if your exchange is Market 1/Market A the price will be considerably higher), but I'm not sure if the line connection is free or chargeable.

Alternatively the Primus bundle on their site, which has higher rental but very cheap broadband - if the price isn't higher where you are. Again, the line installation may be chargeable, as I think the "Free" is for a simple reactivation.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Aug-14 17:47:59
Print Post

Unless they are now at that exchange and Sam doesn't know he can't have Sky as they no longer do BT Wholesale broadband for new connections.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 18-Aug-14 17:51:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, I just checked and saw no Sky LLU. I'm not sure about them no longer doing Sky Connect however.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User rudders
(newbie) Mon 18-Aug-14 17:56:27
Print Post

That looks good at face value. They even claim to offer free installation, but there's probably a catch since it would be a second physical line.
I'll follow it up. Many thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Aug-14 18:06:41
Print Post

I don't think they even do it for House moves from LLU to non-LLU areas.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Aug-14 18:09:24
Print Post

At the bottom of the page I gave you:-
Primus Saver Unlimited: Package prices are shown inclusive of VAT at 20%. An 18 month contract applies. Customers preferring to receive a paper bill are charged an additional £2.25 per month. Customers preferring to pay for the service by means other than Direct Debit will be charged an additional £2.25 per month. Rates are shown in pence per minute, inclusive of VAT. All rates are charged per minute and are rounded to the nearest penny. For all non-inclusive calls a call set up fee of 14.5p applies. The rates shown apply from fixed line phones. Tariffs are effective from 1st April 2014 and are subject to change as specified in the Primus Home Phone & Broadband Terms and Conditions. Terms and Conditions apply. ćA one-off £7.95 router postage & packaging fee applies.

Broadband Speed: We give you the fastest broadband your phone line can handle. The exact speed you get depends on the quality of your phone line and where you live.

New line installation: Only one new line installation engineer visit per account will be free of charge and made available at the discounted rate. Any subsequent visits required by the engineer will be charged at the standard engineer rate of £59 per visit. If the wiring, socket and routing from the exchange to your property are not intact then an engineer may be required to visit and the reactivation of your line may be chargeable. In the event that you are not at your property to allow the engineer to gain access on the day of your agreed engineer appointment you will be charged a missed appointment fee of £59.

Standard User rudders
(newbie) Mon 18-Aug-14 18:16:38
Print Post

You seem to be proficient with English: how many ambiguities are there in that last paragraph?!!
For example: "free of charge and made available at the discounted rate". huh?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to