General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nemeth782
(regular) Mon 25-Aug-14 08:28:36
Print Post

Best "Unlimited" 80/20 provider?

[link to this post]

I'm currently with BT, on Infinity Option 2. Due to various hassles, I've hated them since I signed up in February. They've let me leave contract due to their pending price rises, so I'm off. To be honest, I'd rather have broadband over a wet string than pay BT more money.

I'm in Bristol but Virgin won't do my street, so whoever I go with is going to be an FTTC based service which unfortunately means BTO still make money but hey...

Looking at my router, I can see I currently average ~275GB a month, so I'd really prefer an unlimited deal. I'd quite like a static IP, but I've had to live without one up to now, so not a firm requirement.

The girlfriend makes calls to her mum from the home phone and I'd like free calls at least E+W.

I seem to have the options of:

PlusNet:
Still gives money to BT as they are owned by BT. Have a traffic prioritisation system which I believe knocks a bit off my max speed (at full sync). Supplies some random router, I'd stick with my R6300 and Openreach modem. Works out quite cheap at £28.45 for the first 9 months. Average cost over the 18m contract is £30.92 PCM with £35 quidco cashback. Static IP a one off £5. E+W calls.

Sky:
With them for TV but no discount on their fibre products. Sky Hub is [censored] and using my own router is hassle. Do offer static IP on Fibre Pro. £50 install charge even though I'm migrating, and no offers at all on fibre pro, but at least it's only a 12m contract. Works out £50.07 PCM over 12m. Only weekend calls. Seems very expensive.

Zen:
No router, can just use my own kit. Offers static IP. Anytime calls without the stupid 60 minute redial rubbish. Even more expensive than Sky at £52.96 PCM.

AAISP:
I love them so I did consider, but Home::1 works out at £60 PCM without line rental, and I'm limited to 300GB which would be a problem in a month where I watched lots of Sky OnDemand, or redownloaded games from steam.

TalkTalk:
These guys are actually in front for me right now. Cashback makes it £30.78 PCM over 18 months, their super router actually might be good, which means the R6300 can go elsewhere for more wireless coverage, and that's with Anytime calls. No static IP, so I'd have to live with Dynamic, but, are talktalk actually OK? I've heard their support sucks but I'd be bringing over a stable FTTC line so can't see it being a massive issue. Will I feel congestion at peak times etc?

I can't believe I'm actually considering talktalk, so if anyone has negative feedback on them please let me know!!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 25-Aug-14 08:34:12
Print Post

Re: Best "Unlimited" 80/20 provider?

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Move to Sky fibre 40/10 to avoid the £50 install and it's only £10 pm. After that finishes upgrade to Sky Fibre pro.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User nemeth782
(regular) Mon 25-Aug-14 08:46:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Move to Sky fibre 40/10 to avoid the £50 install and it's only £10 pm. After that finishes upgrade to Sky Fibre pro.

But no static IP, 18m contract, difficulty setting up my own router, and half my speed for 6 months...

I did consider that though smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Mon 25-Aug-14 09:36:24
Print Post

Perhaps a typo on your part but Zen is actually £52.06. This gives you anytime unlimited calls with no 60 minute hassle. Compared to Sky ,gives better value for that extra £2. While you do have to supply a router, I regard that as an advantage.

Sky does have merits but being technically obliged to use their router and no opportunity to have a fixed IP is unfortunate but maybe not a show stopper. The myriad of prices and "bundles" makes it difficult to compare prices with other ISPs. Not sure how you concluded that the price would be £50.07.

TalkTalk Business with anytime calls, not only to UK landlines but also UK mobiles and a fixed IP, is £40 but I think you need to add VAT on top; even so is good value for money. I can confirm from bitter experience that the administration and support is absolutely dire but unlike BTs support, they do speak English and actually sort issues out if you are prepared to 'do time' on the phone. Examples of administration failures is failure to supply what you actually ordered.

Be clear in your mind of possible issues of switching to another ISP at the end of your contract to see if any exit fees are payable, or unexpected costs, and whether you can move over your phone number.

What your research does show is that line rental and FTTC 80/20 comes in around the £50 mark once all the introductory offers and/or installation fees are out of the way.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 25-Aug-14 09:40:08
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

There is a static ip address on Sky Fibre Pro.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Mon 25-Aug-14 09:44:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
There is a static ip address on Sky Fibre Pro.

Glad to see you were awake! An unfortunate error on my part. Sorry.
Standard User shinerweb
(learned) Mon 25-Aug-14 10:56:30
Print Post

I had major issues with TalkTalk support. If you ever are in need of support it takes a while to get past the script monkeys before you get to someone who knows what they are talking about. I wouldn't touch TalkTalk again if they offered it to me for free for life.

I am with PlusNet and they have been the best ISP I've used since the early days of PIPEX (before they got ruined by all the take overs).
As for Plusnet traffic prioritization knocking a bit of maximum speed? Never ever noticed it. (But then I did go from a 2meg ADSL to a 70+meg FTTC/VDSL connection).
I do have a fixed IP using their one off payment.
I did use their pro-package (£5 a month extra) but recently switched that off and I've seen no noticeable drop off in performance.
I'm doing a lot of IPTV streaming at the moment for 'work' (really !!), and that has pushed my monthly average up to around 200-250GB of traffic with a peak last month of over 450GB and not a peep from PlusNet about usage. Truly unlimited.

PlusNet support is far superior IMHO but I am aware of increased delays in getting through to them if what I read online is to be believed. I had a BT line fault a couple of months back and was resigned to sitting on a call for 40mins only for support to answer within 5 rings. 1 call, engineer booked, offline for 5 days due to BT, not Plusnet but they kept me informed daily, and got back to me post fix several times to confirm line was performing ok. Even if you do have to wait to get to speak to them, they are UK based and it doesn't take as long to get to someone who knows what they are talking about.

I just can't justify paying a Zen / AAISP type of rates, when I get the performance I do from PlusNet.
All the time BT management stay away from PlusNet and let them run things they way they are doing right now, I will stay with PlusNet. The instant BT interfere, I'm off.. BT are 2nd behind TalkTalk of my providers to avoid.

Sky aren't even on my radar...

Standard User searcher100
(learned) Mon 25-Aug-14 11:10:07
Print Post

I have been with talk talk for a number of years did have a problem when on 20 meg connection but since having fibre 80/20 have only had one day of problem which was sorted within 4 hours I have according to a sam knows device an average speed of 72meg download and 18.7 upload if you have problems use their online forum or phone it is up to you as I said I don't seemto get any now. with the full fibre you get a tv box with free sky one on it and a couple of other sky channels which are not affected by poor signal as they are web based..

Currently Talk Talk + with 80/20 Fibre boost
Samknows says my average speed over the month is 72.19 Mbps download 18.70 Mbps upload 22.52 ms latency and 0.00% packet loss I'm happy.
Huawei hg533
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Mon 25-Aug-14 13:24:06
Print Post

[re: shinerweb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shinerweb:
I just can't justify paying a Zen / AAISP type of rates, when I get the performance I do from PlusNet.

Just out of interest, what do you actually pay? What does that include?
Standard User nemeth782
(regular) Mon 25-Aug-14 19:57:28
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

On all of them I've factored in migration/connection charges, router delivery where applicable etc.

I agree that Zen is better than Sky, I can use my R6300 as I am now, and unlimited calls without 60m limits.

Overall I'm still leaning towards Talktalk, which is something I never thought I'd say but based on price they seem to have it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to