General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User master811
(newbie) Mon 29-Sep-14 00:33:43
Print Post

TalkTalk vs PlusNet Fibre

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am moving to a new place (with no existing connectivity). FTTC is available, and after comparing all the ISPs, have narrowed it to PlusNet or TalkTalk?

Which would users prefer? I know PlusNet can provide a static IP and TT have truely unlimited with no shaping etc.. Price wise, they both seem to be able the same.

TT also provide the far better router, I don;t even think I woud bother paying for the postage of the PlusNet one.

Anyone have a preference?
Standard User Al1264
(member) Mon 29-Sep-14 13:33:51
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk vs PlusNet Fibre

[re: master811] [link to this post]

Any difference in connection/installation charges between the two?

With TT I'd assume that you absolutely must also have your telephone service with them, with Plusnet it's optional (but there's a £2.50/month surcharge on the FTTC if you don't) also line installation cost may be higher if you don't use them for home phone ('line rental').
Any difference in minimum contract length?

I personally use Plusnet FTTC with Zen home phone line rental and still save a bit of money compared with having both from Plusnet - this will depend on telephone usage and any calls packaye you need.

I also use my own router rather than any IPS provided kit.

Edited by Al1264 (Mon 29-Sep-14 13:35:24)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Sep-14 00:10:04
Print Post

At the moment I don't have the choice, but I would prob go with PN if I did!

plusnet user

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Carbis
(newbie) Sun 05-Oct-14 09:53:28
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

I have been with Plusnet for about 7 years and been very happy with the line performance and find their support excellent and friendly.
Some neighbours are with Talk Talk and in one case I had to identify their problem and solve it as they were getting nowhere with Talk Talk, OK it may have been a one off and a miss match of the customer with very limited knowledge, but I really can't image Plusnet not have resolving this better.
I don't compare specific prices as long as they are in a similar area, but do look for quality.

Oh and just remembered when I moved house it had Talk Talk and the previous occupier had not cancelled/moved their Talk Talk contract and no matter how much I tried I could not get Talk Talk to release the line at any cost! So that's another reason I would never go with them, even if it was the previous occupiers fault and I had two weeks of free calls!
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Oct-14 21:52:44
Print Post

[re: Carbis] [link to this post]

I'm happy with PN for ADSL1, as far as I've read TT isn't much use for ADSL unless you can connect to their LLU network.

plusnet user
Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Mon 06-Oct-14 01:27:11
Print Post

With experience of TalkTalk and currently assisting one of their customers with issues, I would go for Plusnet, AFAIK TalkTalk doesn't have a page on its website dedicated to several awards...

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
I'm here to learn and help others using my experiences, not to argue with obnoxious people.
VirginMedia - Speed Test's: TBB | Ookla - BQM's: RS | AAISP | TBB
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Oct-14 23:09:13
Print Post

Vote for Plusnet here, can't fault them as a company, the line is at the mercy of BTO of course.
Standard User shinerweb
(learned) Sat 11-Oct-14 08:22:10
Print Post

Plusnet all the time.
Used to be with TalkTallk (via the sellout from Pipex -> Tiscali -> TalkTalk) and I wouldn't go near them if they offered me their service for free. In fact, I'd avoid TalkTalk if they paid me to take their service.

When it's working fine, it's ok but when things go wrong, even if it's a BT / Openreach issue, it will take a month of Sundays to get 1st line support to sit up and actually listen.

I've heard good things about TalkTalk business so it's not all bad, but I will avoid their home consumer packages like the plague...

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sat 11-Oct-14 10:26:29
Print Post

[re: shinerweb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shinerweb:
Plusnet all the time.
Used to be with TalkTallk (via the sellout from Pipex -> Tiscali -> TalkTalk) and I wouldn't go near them if they offered me their service for free. In fact, I'd avoid TalkTalk if they paid me to take their service.

When it's working fine, it's ok but when things go wrong, even if it's a BT / Openreach issue, it will take a month of Sundays to get 1st line support to sit up and actually listen.

I've heard good things about TalkTalk business so it's not all bad, but I will avoid their home consumer packages like the plague...

Know nothing about PlusNet but could write a book about the frustrations with upgrading an existing TTR ADSL to TTB FTTC and other installations arranged by me. Their 0800 contact number costs a fortune to ring when you are obliged to use a mobile when you have a total loss of service.

If the TTB service is fault free, then it is good value for money and their call package unusually includes 07 numbers and many line features are free. Fixed IP at no extra cost either. For the record the current price for line rental, call package and unlimited FTTC broadband is £48. If that was offered for free, I would take it!

I am not a TTB subscriber and would not recommend them but there are instances when their offering can be very financially attractive.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 11-Oct-14 13:54:52
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Know nothing about PlusNet but could write a book about the frustrations with upgrading an existing TTR ADSL to TTB FTTC and other installations arranged by me. Their 0800 contact number costs a fortune to ring when you are obliged to use a mobile when you have a total loss of service.

If the TTB service is fault free, then it is good value for money and their call package unusually includes 07 numbers and many line features are free. Fixed IP at no extra cost either. For the record the current price for line rental, call package and unlimited FTTC broadband is £48. If that was offered for free, I would take it!

I am not a TTB subscriber and would not recommend them but there are instances when their offering can be very financially attractive.

Well i would say TalkTalk Business are the best ISP i have ever been with....my transfer from TT residential to their fibre business service went smoothly. Top class UK based phone support 7 days a week, business class tel line features free of charge, no download limits on FTTC,4 static ip addresses, unlimited calls to 01/02/03/0845/0870/UK mobiles all for £48 a month (incl line rental), an absolute bargain for what you get. A like for like service on BT Business or Plusnet Business would cost a small fortune. As for their support having a 0800 number, hardly a big deal as you can use something like 0800Buster to call using your mobile inclusive mins. Anyway more people would complain if TTB did not have a freephone number.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps