General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Thu 16-Oct-14 13:49:16
Print Post

FTTC provider with BT land line?

[link to this post]

I know I'm probably limiting myself with choice somewhat but as I pay for broadband on somebody elses phone line, who would like that to stay with BT, I'm looking for an FTTC provider who won't require me to take out line rental with them to get it. So far my choices seem to be between BT and Plusnet...I havent actually seen any others (or any other decent ones that don't cost a fortune).

If I'm limited to those 2 providers (or any others that I'm unaware of) which would be best for downloading and gaming? People in the house do a lot of both.

Thanks for any help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Oct-14 14:13:29
Print Post

Re: FTTC provider with BT land line?

[re: NBK] [link to this post]

Zen will do it, and IDNet but if Zen is out because of price, then its pretty much PlusNet and surprised you can get BT to do it, they usually want the voice side too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Thu 16-Oct-14 14:17:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's a BT line already so they're already getting voice

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 16-Oct-14 17:24:57
Print Post

I think what MrSaffron means is that BT would possibly want a single contract/customer for line and broadband.

I'd say with several downloaders present that Plusnet would be best for your gaming, as they have a traffic management system that makes sure the downloading doesn't ruin the gaming. Note - this is not the old-fashioned throttling. Your throughput on the line is not reduced.

Similarly, Skype, VOIP and live streaming are prioritised over P2P downloading.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 16-Oct-14 17:30:32)

Standard User NBK
(experienced) Thu 16-Oct-14 19:09:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think what MrSaffron means is that BT would possibly want a single contract/customer for line and broadband.

Thanks for clearing up Saffron...
I was confused when he mentioned zen too, because i thought for sure with Zen you need to take out their line rental too?

*Edit
Ok yeah Zen doesnt require you take their land line but if you don't it'd go up to £34.50 a month, yikes.

Edited by NBK (Thu 16-Oct-14 19:38:15)

Standard User TheEulerID
(learned) Thu 16-Oct-14 19:49:05
Print Post

I don't think BT will provide broadband on a separate account to the voice line. However, possibly what he means is that the original account holder would order the broadband and the OP refund them the difference. Of course that requires a degree of trust (especially for minimum term contracts), but if that's OK, then clearly BT is an option.
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Thu 16-Oct-14 20:36:13
Print Post

You'd probably know...
With regards to VDSL modem do you still get supplied the white openreach modem or have they been abolished now?
I have a rather good router with a gigabit WAN port that I'd prefer to keep using if possibly but I don't know if it will be with Plus or BT (I've ruled out zen and ID completely now so edging more towards plusnet)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 16-Oct-14 20:38:36
Print Post

With Plusnet you get a white modem, with BT you get a HH5.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 16-Oct-14 21:08:15
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheEulerID:
I don't think BT will provide broadband on a separate account to the voice line.

Yes they will.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 16-Oct-14 21:09:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

They don't. I pay for voice or a Res line. My company pays for business BB delivered over the Res line. Both with BT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to