General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spluff
(committed) Wed 26-Nov-14 12:57:14
Print Post

BT contract end - Gamer which ISP?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have been with BT for 3 years and Im on the BT Totally Unlimited 2 Package at full 80mb speeds. I have been paying a reduced amount and my contract ends 5th December...

I am very happy with my download and upload speeds and pings to various sites in uk are 14ms and America is 95ms

The problem I have is with my PS4 and Fifa running slowly and laggy - I have tried all kinds of things to fix but nothing has worked - this has gone on for the past 3 years with different consoles and different fifa versions...

BT have tried to fix but reckon there is nothing wrong with them...

I am just wondering what ISP I should try or should I just stick with BT Infinity?

Many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Nov-14 13:13:20
Print Post

Re: BT contract end - Gamer which ISP?

[re: spluff] [link to this post]

If your latency is low and fine to various UK based websites, then BT is probably right.

The connection is not really going to change if you remain with a FTTC based service.

The competition price wise in the full up to 76 Mbps arena is not as keen as the low end of the market. Zen, PlusNet are the usual mentions.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 26-Nov-14 13:22:49
Print Post

Latency on FTTC within the UK seems quite dependent on the user location. I've seen far better than 14ms for BT on these forums.

Wrt the 14ms ones, I've seen people on other ISPs in the same area getting far better. The opposite also applies - where BT is low latency the others can be high.

It's to do with the routing by each ISP from the exchange MSAN to their own routers. It might be an idea to specify your exchange in the opening post.

I don't recall pings to the US.

There is this recent gaming latency thread that you could look at as well smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 26-Nov-14 13:47:41
Print Post

BT's network seems to have problems on Infinity running Fifa. You should perhaps be considering ISP's that don't necessarily use BT's poor routing, so I would suggest you look at Sky, TalkTalk, maybe Zen especially if they have their own backhaul at your exchange, and a long shot of Plusnet - given they are part of BT.

If Fifa on the PS4 is important to you, I recommend you ask in those ISP forums on here about performance over fibre.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 26-Nov-14 14:00:35
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Plusnet routing is very different from BT Retail's. It's their comparative pings, both better and worse depending on location, I mainly recall but didn't want to suggest in my initial reply.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User spluff
(committed) Wed 26-Nov-14 14:14:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I really want fifa to play without lag/sluggishness so willing to try any ISP but I am worried if I change then will be stuck into a long contract and no difference... I would not be worried too much about the monthly cost if the gaming improved smile

I was thinking its maybe the way BT route the P2P traffic or gaming traffic but don't know for sure. I was tempted to try PlusNet but they are with BT....

Exchange is NEAYC Durham North East

Shame I couldn't trial another ISP on my line and see if it was better smile

Its been a while since posting here nice to see MrSaffron still around helping smile

Edited by spluff (Wed 26-Nov-14 14:18:58)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 26-Nov-14 14:31:55
Print Post

AAISP do 6-month terms on some fibre packages, but can be expensive if you download much.

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Thu 27-Nov-14 00:50:38
Print Post

you could try sky there routing seems pretty good

I'm getting real world ping of around 18-20

speedtest quotes me 9ms but ofc that isn't an accurate website.

im up NE Scotland.

SKY FTTC - 40/10
My Ping
Standard User Ianph
(committed) Thu 27-Nov-14 07:23:14
Print Post

changing isp will not help with fifa im afraid

have yoy tried this? FUTHEAD PS4 LAG FIX

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Fibre Unlimited

39999 sync
Sky Hub 2
Standard User spluff
(committed) Thu 27-Nov-14 14:23:39
Print Post

[re: Ianph] [link to this post]

hi there I have tried the UPNP fix which did fix the other kind of stuttering when Fifa first came out...

This kind of sluggish laggy behaviour has been going on for a few years and fifas now on PS3 and now on PS4....
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to