General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User novastrike
(newbie) Thu 01-Jan-15 12:59:49
Print Post

BT vs plusnet

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Can anyone give any advice on this please.

BT seems to give a better router as far as i can see.
While with plusnet I may have to get another one since I heard the wireless is terrible with the one provided.

Also if I did go for BT would it be worth while to go for infinity 2 as that one comes with an engineer I cant get the max 80 though only 60. I would rather pay more to absolutely ensure everything works correctly.

Many thanks
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Jan-15 13:50:19
Print Post

Re: BT vs plusnet

[re: novastrike] [link to this post]

My son uses the standard Technicolor wireless router for all his devices. His main PC is in another room and connects via a USB wireless dongle, no problem; their tablets, smartphones and internet radio also all connect wirelessly just fine. Was down there (Kent) on Monday and having a play with various bits, all ok, and our iPad automatically connected without blinking (I'd forgotten we'd set it to do so on an earlier visit).

I'd have thought that if you choose to go Plusnet then the router may well be fine, but I don't think the router should be a decision maker.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Edited by cheshire_man (Thu 01-Jan-15 13:51:28)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Jan-15 14:23:05
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
I don't think the router should be a decision maker.
Hear, hear! You can always buy another router.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User novastrike
(newbie) Thu 01-Jan-15 14:47:25
Print Post

Thanks Cheshire and Xray, seems better to go with Plusnet then.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 01-Jan-15 17:21:18
Print Post

And Plusnet do engineer install even on the 40/20 product. (Note - not 40/10). So you would get the "Infinity 2" upload speed if that's a factor.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Jan-15 09:02:06
Print Post

I've never had that much success with the BT Homehubs either. I have tried versions 3, 4 and 5 and either wireless issues or general router issues have meant I've replaced with my own router pretty quickly. I may be moving to PlusNet early next year and if I get the router it will only be as a backup in case my normal router fails and then only whilst I source a new one.
Standard User novastrike
(newbie) Mon 05-Jan-15 01:54:20
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

It's not so much the router, what I actually meant was since its the router they provide they use it as a standard so if you have any problems with the connection they would want you to test it using the router they provided. But if the router is unreliable then more problems could occur.

I have switched ISPs for my broadband 2 megabits connection several times and each time I fear something will go wrong. Once I had a problem and the ISP couldn't figure out what was causing it. They sent me a replacement router but that still didn't fix it, I looked online and discovered the router the ISP provided was terrible. I then took a risk and got my own router and hey presto the problem was fixed.

Not to mention a dualband router would cost around another £100.

It's so difficult to choose a ISP, you get so many conflicting experiences by other users. Plusnet seems to get fairly good impressions on this site but then you go to another site like trustpilot and so many people have problems.

Most worrying thing is the super long contract of 18 months, cant even leave if the connection is bad. Oh well I've ordered it now nothing to do but hope it all goes well. Perhaps since Xmas is over there will be less chance of missed engineer visits. While I did want a engineer its also a double edged sword.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Jan-15 09:15:27
Print Post

One thing to bear in mind is that most people only post on sites to complain about issues. Not many come to a site to say something is good. This site has a number of people who have been here for a very long time and tend to post honest experiences of various providers - the good and the bad - so is a little more balanced than you might get on the net in general.

I haven't been with PlusNet for quite a long time (about 10 years I think) but am strongly considering going back to them in the next month - they aren't the best ISP out there but they are certainly very good for the price they charge.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Mon 05-Jan-15 11:09:36
Print Post

Re: BT vs plusnet *DELETED*

Post deleted by flippery
Standard User novastrike
(newbie) Mon 05-Jan-15 15:34:39
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

That's very true if everything is working well many people don't usually post. Just with all the previous bad experiences and locked into long contracts I'm extremely worried about switching ISP's. For the past decade I have not switched no matter what offers others gave because a reliable connection is more important for me plus due to my area, the speed would of never increased anyway. I'm only switching now because FTTC was finally installed into my area.
Ian72 may I ask the reason you switched, is your current one that bad?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to