General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chrishooper78
(newbie) Wed 07-Jan-15 16:28:20
Print Post

Switching to Talk Talk from BT - potentially bad mistake?

[link to this post]

Due to attractive price and cashback incentives I am looking to migrate our entire phone and broadband package to Talk Talk from BT.

However, I am concerned about receiving poor speeds on Talk Talk compared with the current service with BT.

We live in a suburban area with ADSL Max only (up to 8kb/s, I believe), but in reality we only get 3.5. At busy times when my neighbours are all watching Netflix this can drop a little, with pretty poor service at times. I assume that most of my neighbours are on BT.

When I called BT to check on contract termination he mentioned that BT get better access to the lines, as they are owned and operated by BT. Hence, in a nutshell my query is: will my new Talk Talk line be forced out at times and receive poorer service, particularly at peak periods?

Many thanks.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Jan-15 16:53:53
Print Post

Re: Switching to Talk Talk from BT - potentially bad mistake

[re: chrishooper78] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chrishooper78:
he mentioned that BT get better access to the lines, as they are owned and operated by BT.
He's talking bs. It is a typical misrepresentation put out by BT Retail. Openreach, who operate the lines, have to offer the same level of service to all providers, by regulation.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Jan-15 16:54:37
Print Post

BT retail should not be making statements like that - under Ofcom rules they are not allowed any level of preferential access.

However, TalkTalk are very cheap and may suffer from high congestion. Some people find them fine but others have major issues with them.

I would personally say that BT are expensive for the service levels they provide - would probably look at their service as middle tier with a higher tier pricetag.

Talktalk are low tier on both service and price from my knowledge (I don't use TalkTalk and never have).

PlusNet are probably middle tier on price and service as are probably Sky.

Then you have the ISPs that could be considered higher tier for both like AAISP.

I personally don't believe BT are worth the more premium pricing and am moving away from them soon. But, I will not move to Talktalk as I think their price is too low to provide a consistently decent service.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 07-Jan-15 16:55:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes, I thought that might be the case, thank you.
(newbie) Wed 07-Jan-15 17:02:30
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

However, TalkTalk are very cheap and may suffer from high congestion. Some people find them fine but others have major issues with them.

Where would such congestion be a problem - at the exchange or local end? There are few Talk Talk customers in my area (mostly BT / Sky).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 07-Jan-15 17:13:42
Print Post

If it is the TalkTalk non-LLU product then that is likely to be under-resourced, (which wouldn't matter for email and browsing but could be a mess for YouTube or other streaming. Also not the headline price. Have you checked? Do they in fact still offer "out of area" broadband to new customers? I just had a look around their site and can't find it.

Which exchange is it please?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Wed 07-Jan-15 17:30:18
Print Post

It won't be official policy, but probably somebody in a call centre chancing their luck to improve their performance stats. If that was happening to a significant level there would be mega-complaints to Ofcom by competitors.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Jan-15 08:24:15
Print Post

Performance issues could be down to almost anything in the network (including central peering links). Talktalk's reputation for performance has not been great - whether they are better now I can't confirm. You may find they are perfectly fine for what you want - but if you get congestion then breaking a long contract period could be next to impossible.

Personally I prefer to pay a sensible cost and expect reasonable service than pay very low costs and then complain if it all goes wrong. But if the priority is entirely down to price and happy to potentially suffer the issues of getting something that appears too cheap to sustain then you could be fine with them.

PS - whilst there may be few customers in your area now, if it is an 18 month contract, then that position could easily change.

Edited by ian72 (Thu 08-Jan-15 08:25:16)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Thu 08-Jan-15 09:51:38
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Performance issues could be down to almost anything in the network (including central peering links). Talktalk's reputation for performance has not been great - whether they are better now I can't confirm. You may find they are perfectly fine for what you want - but if you get congestion then breaking a long contract period could be next to impossible.

There's nothing wrong with TT network performance, its no better or worse than Sky LLU, BTw, C&W etc. If TT's network was bad their 4,000,000+ customers would leave them in droves (no matter how cheap they are)....as Orange LLU found out to their cost a few years ago when their network became pants.

OP,
If you don't mind using the TT forums (uk based) and saving a few pennies in the process then you'll be fine on Talktalk. Prior to joining talkTalk I only went with top end ISPs such as Zen, Goscomb, Netplan et al but having been with TT since 2010, their network is just as good but without the eye watering prices.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps