General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stefanod
(newbie) Sat 07-Feb-15 07:58:24
Print Post

No contract ISP package

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I am looking for a no contract ISP package. Whilst there is a telephone line in the flat, it is not active, so I may to have to include that in the package

Not to bothered by monthly price (I will not be paying for it) but want to avoid cessation charges.

It will be used mainly for browsing and watching You Tube videos.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Stef
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Feb-15 09:53:28
Print Post

Re: No contract ISP package

[re: stefanod] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/plusnet.html do do monthly broadband contracts without the need to take voice from them, but this does push the monthly price up.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/zen/package/1122.html Zen do monthly broadband and their Home Talk on the ADSL services is cheap at £12.30 per month with no contract, but double check this applies for a line activation too.

Monthly line voice rental look at Post Office as another option but NOT their broadband as it is an up to 8 Mbps service so maybe limiting for YouTube

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Sat 07-Feb-15 10:12:16
Print Post

In addition to previous post

Freeola offer a 1 month contract for broadband
Pulse8 offer a broadband and broadband with line on monthly contract. Maybe need to check setup costs.
Unless you are transferring Broadband to new property, there maybe cessation fees involved.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Feb-15 11:21:17
Print Post

There is no such thing as "no contract". I think you mean "monthly contract" or "long minimum term".

If you have broadband and cancel it, i.e. have broadband completely removed from the line, except when doing a House Move with the same ISP, as flippery said, you will nearly always be charged a cease fee. To find an ISP that won't needs an expert needle-in-haystack finder.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.3Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 07-Feb-15 11:23:25)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Feb-15 20:49:03
Print Post

If cost isn't an issue have a look here, the downside there is a minimum of a 6 month contract to start with then you go go onto a rolling monthly contract but the way I read it in FAQs is there is no cease charge for this package.

Are there any charges for leaving?
There is a simple 6 month minimum term after which it is a simple rolling monthly contract, so no refund of part of a month if you leave mid month. If you want to use a migration code your service only stops once the new provider uses the code to migrate away, otherwise billing and service continues.

Are there any other charges?
Customers can take any of our other services charged at the published prices. However, in some cases where existing customers move to this Home::1 tariff they may have options that are not part of the package as such. We will charge the normal price for such options (e.g. business grade phone line rather than residential). Please discuss with sales if you are unsure. Such services can normally be ceased or regraded to be standard for Home::1 if you wish. There is no cease charge for Home::1 services

Always best to check the finer points of T&Cs with any ISP before commiting.

plusnet user
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Feb-15 21:14:04
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Cease | £30 | Leaving us by disconnecting service rather than migrating away.
Full price list.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.3Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Feb-15 21:44:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Cease | £30 | Leaving us by disconnecting service rather than migrating away.
Full price list.

You could be right but I'm not sure about that regarding the Home:: 1 package, that's why I suggested "Always best to check the finer points of T&Cs with any ISP before commiting."

A & A can be confusing sometimes, for me anyway tongue

plusnet user
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 08-Feb-15 23:16:31
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Yes ....

I thought I had checked that in a water-tight way, via my link (your quote of it is truncated so doesn't work) >> Hidden charges. But now I find:-
Are there any other charges?

Customers can ...
... There is no cease charge for Home::1 services.

Standard User stefanod
(newbie) Mon 09-Feb-15 14:45:30
Print Post

A big thank you to each of you for your replies.

In the end, I went with Plusnet. They gave me a rolling contract with a 14 day notice period and no cessation fees.

As for price, £15.95 covered the telephone line and 12.49 covered 'unlimited' internet usage. A one off activation fee of £25 was also required.

What I found was best, was to call each ISP up and ask what they could do for me.
The price above may be over the odds, but the terms suit my purpose.
  Print Thread

Jump to