General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nine
(learned) Thu 19-Feb-15 16:25:10
Print Post

new isp recommendation

[link to this post]

hello everyone

i was with be unlimited upto 24megs for years and getting approx 16 megs and was very happy wth them, Then sky took over be unlimited and i was transferred to sky just under year ago and im synced at 15-16 megs and upload 1.1.

now sky want to charge 17.50 a month for a adsl2 llu service.

The question is would you pay sky 17.50 a month for a llu adsl2 service as there is fibre out there roughly same price.

please i would some some help on what i should do stay, move isp etc etc,?

thank you so much for your help
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 19-Feb-15 16:57:57
Print Post

Re: new isp recommendation

[re: nine] [link to this post]

Have you checked you can get FTTC? If you still have a non-LLU phone, try this checker. If your phone is Sky LLU then take the address option from there. Do not use the "Postcode" option!!

If you can get it, the Sky 40/10 FTTC sounds like a good bet for you. We could do with knowing which exchange you are on.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.1Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Feb-15 17:16:32
Print Post

Sounds like the £17.50 is high because you are choosing to not take voice line rental from Sky.

What price are they offering if you take both voice and broadband from Sky? Standard pricing is £7.50 for broadband plus £16.40 for the broadband.

Plenty of offers from other providers, but they usually want you to move the voice to them too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nine
(learned) Thu 19-Feb-15 17:29:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick reply

the phone line is with bt as it was with be and sky.

It's 12.50 for bb plus 5 pound sky talk supplement and now extra 2.50 welcome offer. total of 17.50 now but pricey now.

Any ideas

thank you
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Feb-15 17:34:49
Print Post

if you insist on the voice NOT being the broadband supplier then cost will be higher.

PlusNet (assuming exchange is WBC ADSL2+ enabled) supplement is £2.50 for not taking phone, but you also miss out on the welcome discounts, so missing out on £2.50/m bb plus £15.95 voice for 12 months then standard price of £9.99.

There is BT of course.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband-offers.html

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nine
(learned) Thu 19-Feb-15 20:21:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thank u for the reply I did a check

FTTC Range A
(Clean) 49.9 35 11.8 7.2 -- Available
FTTC Range B
(Impacted) 42.8 24.7 11.8 5.2 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 15 -- 8.5 to 19 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex
M Up to 15 Up to 1.5 8.5 to 19 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7 -- 6 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rat.e 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

the line at mo is with bt line and I had be and now sky.

What bt infinity like its 18 pound month on 12 month contract going up to 23 on month 13. They reckon no traffic management, throttling.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Feb-15 00:04:09
Print Post

As you seem to want to keep your phone with BT, (like I do), Infinity 1 Unlimited looks good. There's no traffic management or throttling, but they do warn there may be a bit of congestion at busy times. Compared to what you are getting now I think you should be fine.

If you decide to go for it, check the cashback sites, (Quidco and TopCashBack - most of the time they are near-identical but occasionally very different), and also BT's own Sainsbury's tokens and the like.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.1Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User nine
(learned) Fri 20-Feb-15 23:01:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

thank u.

I do game online and went with Be for the superb service and line optimisation and now sky brought be.

At the mo have my line with bt and separate broadband but with sky now charging me 17.50 for bb. Sky won't offer fibre with the line with Bt even tho they took over Be and with customer lines with bt.

if anyone knows this I like to know why u can have adsl and and bt line but not fibre and bt line.

oh and and ping times for gaming I've read that on fibre interleaving is always on and where adsl2 it can be lowered or turned off.

so the choices I have is to move all voice and broadband, or put bb with plusnet as someone kindly suggested, bt are they still poor, or still pay sky 17.50 for adsl2 but they did know offer to take some money off.

Sorry to everyone just wanna get sorted before next bill hopefully

once again thanks to everyone
Standard User kamelion
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Feb-15 23:16:36
Print Post

I was the same as you, BE>sky. I took their fibre 40/10 service when it became available and I have to say it has been excellent with pings the same as when I was on interleaved ADSL2+.

I was with Zen for the phone line (although i don't use it for voice calls) but took free sky line as part of the deal although I will be reviewing my options when the 12 months free line rental is up as there are cheaper options out there.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Feb-15 23:29:09
Print Post

It is down to a commercial decision of sky why they won't let you have fibre without taking their line rental

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to