General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hotdogz
(member) Fri 27-Mar-15 14:34:31
Print Post

looking for a new isp for fibre 80/20

[link to this post]

Just moved house and had to wait 5 and a bit weeks for bt to get openreach out , didnt have much help from bt at all and homes along my road who only moved there phone line 2 weeks ago were wired in on monday .

Looking for fibre 80/20 as im a stone throw from the cabnet plus a new phone line dont realy want to be paying a bomb also cheap or free conection .
Needs to be unlimited and NO throttling at peek times ..

cheers

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 27-Mar-15 17:06:31
Print Post

Re: looking for a new isp for fibre 80/20

[re: hotdogz] [link to this post]

If you've had Openreach out, what have they done? Installed a dead line? Or is it a live phone line and you want a second with broadband on?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync zilch (problem somewhere) since 11:46a.m. 24/3/15
Standard User hotdogz
(member) Fri 27-Mar-15 17:18:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Roberto openreach conected the phone line also adsl ( speedtest shows 16mb dl )
when i put in for the move there was a data base error so fibre wasnt showing 3 weeks ago it showed on the checker but BT wouldnt let me change the order .....

Ive looked on plusnets site all looks good part from £50 for conection as im in A area

Edited by hotdogz (Fri 27-Mar-15 17:21:13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Mar-15 17:30:01
Print Post

Zen install is only £30, but the monthly subs are more expensive, and a 12mth min term
But paying for a managed install by an BTOR engineer isn't to bad when you think about it, modem and faceplate plus an option of a dedicated VDSL extension , as well as performing checks that it's all working as it should (in theory )
What i find somewhat a bad thing is plusnet want a 18mth min term as well as £50 install/activation fee

Basically the install fee and 12mths or more min term contracts are ok for those who haven't already got a working FTTC product, but for those looking to migrate the activation fees are way above what the CP's are being charged so they aren't proportionate and the contract terms are also behind the times still insisting . 12 or 18 mths for fttc to fttc migrations ,
AAISP would appear to be the only ISP who charges less for migration fees propotianate to their costs, and they offer a shorter 6 mths contract too So to the rest of the isp industry it can be done

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 27-Mar-15 19:58:25)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 27-Mar-15 17:45:34
Print Post

?
That sounds messy. Also you said you wanted a new phone line. Do you, or are you going to use the one you have the ADSL on?

If you are keeping the phone line with BT then you get a higher price anyway from Plusnet. £29.99pm (on a Market 1/A exchange)instead of the £27.49 banner price. The £50 is the installation charge for not having Plusnet phone and applies whatever the area.

Anything other than BT Retail Infinity and you will get an early termination charge for the BT ADSLx. Did you know about that?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync zilch (problem somewhere) since 11:46a.m. 24/3/15

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 27-Mar-15 17:47:11)

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Fri 27-Mar-15 17:57:02
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Hang on a moment here chaps. Surely the OP has a BT voice line and perhaps an ADSL broadband service from BT or maybe someone else.. Now if there are suggestions about this, that an another ISP, would there not be at least a 12 month contract on the voice line service with BT? Same with the broadband service whoever it came from.

This means you are a bit snookered to choose another ISP for a Fibre service because usually you have to have the voice line service with that ISP. You are therefore stuck with BT Infinity for Fibre for the time being, but you would have the choice of a residential or business service without invoking penalties.

BT is a Marmite company, you either love or loath them. You've already been disappointed with them by not changing your order in mid stream from ADSL to FTTC; could be your frustrations with that organisation are only just beginning!
Standard User hotdogz
(member) Fri 27-Mar-15 18:17:07
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

I spoke to bt today i have 14 days from today to change my mind with the adsl and phone line as both are classed as new contracts due to me moving home 3 weeks ago ...

Roberto with plusnet its £50 isnt it even with there phone line as im on band A area . if i was band b or c it would be free . might right plusnet .

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 27-Mar-15 18:25:59
Print Post

Ah, that's good.

Not according to the full price list. That takes a bit of understanding, but you need Tables 1.3 and 1.6.

Market 1 (as was) is "Outside low cost areas", but that's only mentioned for the ongoing monthly charge. Which makes sense, as the Openreach installation charge is not area-dependent.

What I don't know is exactly how Plusnet are mapping the new Market A and B classifications onto the old 1,2,3 ones. It isn't a straight changeover, as Ofcom have re-graded many. There isn't a Band C.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 27-Mar-15 18:27:25)

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Fri 27-Mar-15 18:32:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by hotdogz:
I spoke to bt today i have 14 days from today to change my mind with the adsl and phone line as both are classed as new contracts due to me moving home 3 weeks ago ...

Roberto with plusnet its £50 isnt it even with there phone line as im on band A area . if i was band b or c it would be free . might right plusnet .

Gosh, I'm surprised you can walk away from what you have now without some kind of expense, but if you are suggesting you can be effectively back to square one, then all options are available to you for a choice of supplier. I know who I would choose but you seem to be focusing on price and yet want a quality service. Is there such a combination? I don't think so.
Standard User hotdogz
(member) Fri 27-Mar-15 18:35:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

just filled out the details on plus nets site and it says the following .

Evenings & Weekends
£2.00a month
Anytime
£5.00a month
Anytime International 300
£7.00a month
Include 100 Anytime minutes to UK mobiles
Only £3 a month extra
Add Mobile Minutes
Mobile Minutes

Include 100 Anytime minutes to UK mobiles on top of your chosen call plan.
Include 100 Anytime minutes to UK mobiles
£3.00a month
Voicemail options
No Voicemail
£0.00 a month
1571 Voicemail
£0.00a month
Voicemail Extra (Call Minder)
£3.00a month
Call features in bundle
Your order All prices include VAT

Today's payment
Unlimited broadband (First month)
£9.99
Promotional discount (for 12 months)
- £9.99
Plusnet Protect powered by McAfee (First month)
Included
Router P&P
£5.99
Line rental (First month)
£15.95
Installation charge
£49.99
Anytime (First Month)
£5.00
Voicemail (1571) (First month)
Included

Today's total