General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rich_jtg
(regular) Sun 26-Apr-15 10:54:35
Print Post

Please point a FTTC first-timer in the right direction

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

After many years of sub 2 Meg ADSL on a Market 1 exchange, fibre has finally arrived in our area.

I've been reading through various threads and Fibre guides/best buys, but am a bit confused where start with FTTC.

Currently with Zen for ADSL and the phone is paid annually (Post Office) as we never use it for calls.

Not bothered about TV/Sport/Call packages/Free routers. Not that bothered about a static IP.

Main consideration is probably reliability, and would rather avoid ISP content filtering, though that's not really an issue as I'm not a big 'Linux distro' downloader.

Should I be looking at staying with Zen? Is there any advantage in terms of transfer from ADSL or initial connection?

I've posted the predicted speeds at the bottom. Is it worth going for the 80/20 option? The line will be used for some video streaming (iPlayer, Now TV), and sometimes uploading short videos I shoot to my work's servers.

If I was looking to save a bit of money is there an issue with PlusNet at the minute?

Any pointers will be really appreciated. smile

Down High Low Up High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 72 / 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 61.9 / 20 12.2 -- Available

Pipex > Zen > Be > iDNet > Freeola > Zen >
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Apr-15 12:13:55
Print Post

Re: Please point a FTTC first-timer in the right direction

[re: rich_jtg] [link to this post]

If the Zen service is reasonable then maybe stay with then

£27/m for Unlimited up to 38 Mbps service plus voice at £16.99 is more than PlusNet, but then then if its a Market 1 exchange PlusNet pricing is likely to be the more expensive outside low cost areas of £22.49 per month (plus voice £15.95)

Zen will give you the static IP, reverse DNS which may be useful for the work e.g. work firewalling uploads

The estimates suggest the cabinet is at the foot of your drive almost, so if you went for the cheaper up to 38 Mbps product you should nail the maximum speeds on it, and probably even the same on the more expensive.

A well running 20 Mbps FTTC line is more than good enough for several HD video streams, I know that is all I have and have run multiple devices at the same time for 30 minutes to test, sound muted or I would have gone mad.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Sun 26-Apr-15 12:20:58
Print Post

If you are used to sub-2mbps, then 40mbps will be a revelation. You can always upgrade later if you feel the need and most ISPs will make that easy (downgrading is often not so simple). As for Plusnet, they seem OK on my parent's line, but that's only ADSL and they are not heavy users.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Apr-15 12:23:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Zen will give you the static IP, reverse DNS which may be useful for the work e.g. work firewalling uploads
Not only that, an existing Zen ADSL customer upgrading to Zen FTTC keeps the IP address(es) they already have.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Apr-15 13:09:00
Print Post

Plusnet is having some strange problems at the moment affecting quite a few. But even some of those affected, such as myself, don't really notice it.

However, as has been said, Plusnet will cost quite a bit more than the headline prices - see this post. Also it's an 18-month minimum term.

I agree with others that your best bet may well be staying with Zen, on a 12-month minimum term.

You will almost certainly need a new router, or perhaps a VDSL2 router, as your existing one is highly unlikely to be suitable. If you tell us what it is, and if it has one of the Ethernet ports marked as WAN or a different colour from the rest, it probably is.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User rich_jtg
(regular) Sun 26-Apr-15 14:36:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

A big thank you for all your replies.

I didn't realise I would be able to switch between 40/10 and 80/20 during a contract, so I'll probably start down that route.

Zen seems like the obvious choice in terms of a smooth transition - however it costs around 50% more and I'm not sure I can justify it.

For 18 months of fibre and phone (with caller display):

Sky - £535.20
Plusnet - £574.80 (with outsiders' tax)
BT- £659.82
Zen - £838.02

The fibre data extension kit is often mentioned...

I currently have a Billion 8800NL running off a socket on a relatively short extension routed externally. Looking through the forums (and at photos), am I right in thinking that the data kit can only be routed internally?

Edited by rich_jtg (Sun 26-Apr-15 14:39:47)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 26-Apr-15 14:52:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by rich_jtg:

I currently have a Billion 8800NL running off a socket on a relatively short extension routed externally. Looking through the forums (and at photos), am I right in thinking that the data kit can only be routed internally?
Can't you just use that?

____________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance_
Standard User rich_jtg
(regular) Sun 26-Apr-15 15:00:51
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by rich_jtg:

Can't you just use that?

I got the impression that the router/modem would need to be connected directly to the master socket?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Apr-15 15:09:32
Print Post

Ideal situation, but so long as you have optimised the wiring you have as much as possible, i.e. no ring wire then you are close enough to still get full speed most likely

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Apr-15 15:11:17
Print Post

Zen fibre over 12 months £324 plus £204 line rental

So which product were you looking at?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to