General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-May-15 10:11:40
Print Post

Xilo - upload on TTB

[link to this post]

Just been on the Xilo website and noticed that if you go with their Soho BT based service you get 1.4Mb upload for adsl, but with their Pro TTB service its only 1Mb up

Is there any reason for the difference?
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-May-15 10:51:09
Print Post

Re: Xilo - upload on TTB

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Either the 1.4 Mbit/s upload service is provided using Annex M, or this is a mistake on their web site. I don't know which explanation is correct.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 04-May-15 12:27:39
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Up to 1.4bps is what several Entanet resellers used to advertise on ADSL2+ Annex A, where most ISPs said 1.3Mbps. Annex M is the "up to 2.3Mbps" product.

I doubt if the 1.4Mbps is within the current guidelines of being obtained by 10% of the customers, but it will be Annex A.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 04-May-15 12:28:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-May-15 12:44:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Notice Xilo are one of the few ISPs to advertise "up to 24Mb" aswell. Most ISPs have adjusted this to "up to 16Mb" after the 10% of customers ruling
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-May-15 14:01:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Notice Xilo are one of the few ISPs to advertise "up to 24Mb" aswell. Most ISPs have adjusted this to "up to 16Mb" after the 10% of customers ruling
That suggests Bob's answer that the absolute maximums are being quoted. My suggestion this was Annex M was based on the "at least 10% of customers will get this speed" ruling being followed.

Assuming the same line, there will not be a huge difference in sync speeds between ISPs using the same technology. Different equipment operators have slightly different technical parameters, but the physical limits of the line do not dramatically improve just because you change ISP.

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 04-May-15 15:25:10
Print Post

Hi

The upload on TTB service didn't provide me with more than 700, despite getting around 1300 consistently with BE and PlusNet LLU before that, this is ADSL2+ not Annex M. The problem with TTB was the 9db SNR on upstream that couldn't be changed if I remember correctly.

Luckily FTTC arrived soon after so I upgraded to that.

Regards

Phil
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-May-15 15:37:27
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

When you say 700, is that 700kbps sync?
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 04-May-15 19:19:14
Print Post

Yes, 700kbps.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-May-15 19:27:13
Print Post

Ive always synced at 1022kbps on TTB. Was that with all ISPs you were with who used TTB or just Xilo?

Guess like anything depends on noise margin, distance to exchange etc

Edited by bobble_bob (Mon 04-May-15 19:27:54)

Standard User bernado
(regular) Tue 05-May-15 12:14:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by PhilipD:
Hi

The upload on TTB service didn't provide me with more than 700, despite getting around 1300 consistently with BE and PlusNet LLU before that, this is ADSL2+ not Annex M. The problem with TTB was the 9db SNR on upstream that couldn't be changed if I remember correctly.

This has been exactly my experience with TTB through Xilo with an upsync pegged to 700 (730 to be exact), I'm only down the road from the exchange so a bit annoying. I also had syncs of 1.3 with BE on the same line. Doesn't make a lot of difference to me at the moment but in time it might be an issue if my online gaming needs get more demanding.

Edited by bernado (Tue 05-May-15 12:16:47)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to