General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dragon2611
(committed) Mon 11-May-15 21:37:20
Print Post

Which ISP for backup connection?

[link to this post]

I currently have Plusnet and Virgin but I'm likely to be moving soon and virgin can't serve the new area (That will be fun with the ETFs frown )

I'll move the Plusnet FTTC connection seeing as I'm still in contract with them and they can provide FTTC in the new location. However if there's enough spare pairs to allow for a 2nd line I'd probably still like to have a 2nd ISP as a backup, probably on one of the LLU networks incase BTW go splat.

Ideally looking for ADSL2+ and line rental on a 30 day term.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-May-15 21:58:36
Print Post

Re: Which ISP for backup connection?

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

Alphabetically:-

AAISP; Aquiss; vivaciti; xilo/uno (possibly not taking orders till June due to brand-splitting and package changes); Zen.

Have you checked the ADSLx speed estimates against your needs?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 11-May-15 21:59:00)

Standard User dragon2611
(committed) Mon 11-May-15 22:00:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It was about 17Mbit/s which compared to the Virgin connection I have here will be slow but as I'll also have VDSL/FTTC it won't matter to much (Predicted 60 - 80 on the FTTC)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-May-15 08:49:53
Print Post

According to this post Vivaciti don't do LLU anymore.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-May-15 10:52:31
Print Post

If it really is backup you're after, I'd go with mobile broadband.

LLU ADSL would be another option, but there will likely be more single points of failure than with mobile. This is especially an issue if relevant Openreach line plant runs overhead or is of questionable condition.

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-May-15 12:15:58
Print Post

Not seen where AAISP & Aquiss offer one month contracts as OP wanted. Don't forget Pulse8, not the cheapest, but no contract tie-in.

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-May-15 13:23:56
Print Post

You can check what is in your area but VFast are in mine. They do wireless broadband in south east Kent (not sure where you are based).

Total waste of money for myself, but if I did have a need for two connections on physically different transport mediums (FTTC landline and wireless microwave), that would be a pretty sweet setup. But I cannot personally justify the price or need for it.

Anyway, you suggested ADSL2+ as a backup so are looking for two physical line solution, but thought I would suggest it anyway.

Zen Unlimited Fibre | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?

Edited by mixt (Tue 12-May-15 13:24:53)

Standard User dragon2611
(committed) Tue 12-May-15 13:55:38
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

No Vfast sadly,

I did think about 4G which would be fine for emergency usage but if there was a long running issue with routing or peak time performance on my primary ISP then I'd probably run out of data.

Also I can tether my mobile providing it's not more than a few GB's of usage (I have a fairly high 4G allowance on that compared to most people)

Obviously having a DSL based backup won't help me if someone digs up the line or the exchange goes bang but at least having LLU DSL should help if the cabnet loses power/dies or help in the case of BTW/ISP issues.
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-May-15 13:56:03
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Other than those listed on our website?
http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-family.php

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-May-15 14:02:45
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

Which rather conflicts with what I found! http://www.aquiss.net/home-broadband-packages/

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to