General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User k1ll3r
(newbie) Sat 16-May-15 17:56:27
Print Post

Best ISP for gaming in my area

[link to this post]

Hi guys, I'm looking for the fastest, lowest latency and most reliable broadband in my area.

I'm connected to the Manchester GATLEY Exchange, Cabinet 36.

The only Fibre option I have is Virgin which would appear to be a bad choice since if it's the only such service in the area, the contention ratio must surely be very high.

So speed is likely the least important factor here since its just going to be a DSL connection.

As for latency: My current ISP is Sky (used to be with BE until they were acquired by Sky) and I'm currently getting 45ms to UK and 60 to DE, which is unacceptable. It never used to be this high, I used to get 25ms to UK and 40 to DE which was perfectly reasonable. I'd be interested in knowing if there is an appreciable difference in latency when considering different ISPs in the same area, and if there is, how I can tell which is the best.

Reliability is the most important factor here, its the reason I didn't just up and get Virgin's FTTC product. I need to have a very stable connection 24/7 with a minimum of jitter and no throttling.

Oh and it should be uncapped as well.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-May-15 10:34:09
Print Post

Re: Best ISP for gaming in my area

[re: k1ll3r] [link to this post]

There is a difference in latency between different suppliers (to a degree, depending on where in the UK you are)
Run a tracert to the site and post it back here as that will give a better idea on where the issue is.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Mon 18-May-15 12:23:32
Print Post

Yes you would be correct in staying away from Virgin for gaming as cable broadband networks have issues with Jitter that DSL connections do not..

Have you spoken to Sky about your latency to see if they can put you on a Gaming Profile or lower Interleaving Depth, maybe even Fast Path?

Currently I would say the best ISP's for stability would be LLU but I'm not too sure, I'm with Plusnet Fibre and gaming is rubbish even though my baseline ping to Maidenhead is only 11ms.

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User k1ll3r
(newbie) Wed 20-May-15 00:42:52
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Tracing route to www.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.130]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 39 ms 39 ms 40 ms 0278095e.bb.sky.com [2.120.9.94]
4 40 ms 40 ms 40 ms linx-gw2.thdo.ncuk.net [195.66.236.240]
5 49 ms 41 ms 39 ms te1-1-1-31.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.85]

6 39 ms 38 ms 38 ms www.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.130]

Trace complete.

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Yes you would be correct in staying away from Virgin for gaming as cable broadband networks have issues with Jitter that DSL connections do not..

Have you spoken to Sky about your latency to see if they can put you on a Gaming Profile or lower Interleaving Depth, maybe even Fast Path?

Currently I would say the best ISP's for stability would be LLU but I'm not too sure, I'm with Plusnet Fibre and gaming is rubbish even though my baseline ping to Maidenhead is only 11ms.

I haven't spoke to BT yet. I currently have to share my connection with up to 4 different people each day, so I'm looking at getting a second line for myself only. Thus my current pings don't really need to be fixed as the other users don't notice/care.

I'm wondering, if Sky simply took over BEs network, would it still be LLU? I'm pretty sure that's what my old connection was, it was fairly solid considering the line length:

Line Attenuation Up : 28.5
Line Attenuation Down : 57.0

I can't recall seeing anyone post stats as high as those the few times I've browsed the forums. So 20 or so ping was pretty good considering, I believe, it's at least partly dependant on line length.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-May-15 09:41:42
Print Post

The old Be network was absorbed and destroyed as the kit was aging and running on a capacity limited platform.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Wed 20-May-15 12:27:33
Print Post

Your ping looks OK but if your saying your sharing that connection with others and it's a slower ADSL line (pretty long that's for sure) then you will find its the usage of others ruining gaming performance..

I think contacting Sky and and asking if you can have another line installed or even apply as a new customer might be the best thing for you to do!

I think currently you could get 12 months free BB.. but as it's a 2nd line this might have to be done by phone...

FYI. If you do opt for this and it doesn't work out then you can always cancel within the cooling off period.

Changing provider in this case won't really help you much as you're on a long line... unless you opt for a fibre "based" solution such as Virgin Media (Which probably wouldn't be a good move for gaming)

Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 20-May-15 12:56:15
Print Post

FYI. If you do opt for this and it doesn't work out then you can always cancel within the cooling off period.
I don't think that applies once they have ordered from Openreach. Certainly not after installation.

Tripe.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 20-May-15 14:37:39)

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Wed 20-May-15 13:54:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

From what Sky told me and the documentation I've read they do!

From Activation!

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Wed 20-May-15 14:15:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I don't think that applies once they have ordered from Openreach. Certainly not after installation.

30 day Broadband and Talk Satisfaction Guarantee: Available within the first 30 days of all your services being activated. Refund applies to subscription charges only (not set-up charges or non-inclusive call charges) and is pro-rated. Statutory rights are not affected. Not applicable if you change your package.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 20-May-15 14:36:47
Print Post

That's good smile.

I wrongly assumed you were talking about the statute law cancellation terms.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to