General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User johnnixon
(newbie) Mon 18-May-15 14:27:47
Print Post

low-bit-rate, cheap bb-only - does any ISP still do it?

[link to this post]

Started with Metronet years ago (£6.50 pm), moved to Plusnet when they took it over (now £7.99 pm), all separate from phone & TV and a few Mb/s and a few MB/month. Now setting up for a newcomer who wants to still keep her phone separate, find that Plusnet only does new deals that include LL rental. Does anyone know of a company that still does the handy simple stuff, suitable for emails and a bit of gentle surfing, preferably not offering a "free" router?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-May-15 14:51:28
Print Post

Re: low-bit-rate, cheap bb-only - does any ISP still do it?

[re: johnnixon] [link to this post]

Plusnet do still do broadband with the line elsewhere.

Link. Arrived at from www.plus.net >> View packages then click the right-hand tab labelled "Broadband only", (you will be looking at the broadband + phone packages at the time). The router is not compulsory, but is free apart from the P & P. Worth having as a standby if she only has one - that could fail at any time.

(Edit: If you click the "+ line rental" button by the price it tells you it can be elsewhere).

You could also look at aquiss and vivaciti.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 18-May-15 14:56:11)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-May-15 18:53:33
Print Post

[re: johnnixon] [link to this post]

You can get a 20GB usage BB product from Zen but it isn't cheap compared to the mass market larger ISPs.

https://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/broadband/home-off...

plusnet user

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnnixon
(newbie) Tue 19-May-15 09:48:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Gee, thanks for your detailed and helpful response, RobertoS. I shall investigate the leads you have given me, and would never have found for myself.
Kind regards
John
Standard User johnnixon
(newbie) Tue 19-May-15 09:52:33
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Thanks, Apprentice. Yes, I'd seen the Zen packages and I agree they are a wee bit too expensive for the lady in question.
Kind regards
John
  Print Thread

Jump to