General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Gazzertron
(learned) Tue 07-Jul-15 15:04:50
Print Post

SSE Broadband

[link to this post]

Hello,
I am looking to leave Plusnet due to the impending price rises, I currently have the unlimited fiber extra.
SSE looks to have a decent discount for new customers but I have yet to find anyone who is using them, has anyone on here had experience of SSE for FTTC?

Regards

Gary
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jul-15 15:16:06
Print Post

Re: SSE Broadband

[re: Gazzertron] [link to this post]

Believe they use Daisy Group and we have some speed tests where people change the auto from Daisy to SSE and get good FTTC speeds

http://tbb.st/1435272542520945355

Of course FTTC is distance dependant, so if going from ADSL2+ to FTTC a lot depends on cabinet distance, if a FTTC migration then should be about same.

Long contract with SSE would be my concern

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Gazzertron
(learned) Tue 07-Jul-15 15:40:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello Andrew,
thanks for the reply, I'm concerned about the 2 year tie in too!
I left BT for Plusnet (18 month contract) and last year there were at least 3 widespread outages which affected my connection (BT was faultless). Decisions decisions smile

Gary

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Tue 07-Jul-15 16:26:24
Print Post

it's also £12.50 a month for 2 years.

You gets what you pay for. (not saying that's good or bad)
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Jul-15 22:22:59
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

I've been looking at a couple of threads on Money Saving Expert and HotUKDeals, what is ringing alarm bells for me is the mention of traffic management and fair use.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 07-Jul-15 22:46:19
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Yes, they monitor traffic using ports, destination and DPI, and slow down non-realtime downloading.
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Jul-15 23:29:53
Print Post

The Two year free Broadband is just a sprat to catch a mackerel. High line, call and every other charge making the bottom line no better than others, but a bigger tie-in. Line and unlimited calls query still gave us a £22:50 quote at our other home.
Standard User Gazzertron
(learned) Wed 08-Jul-15 13:46:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the information, I might renew my line saver with Plusnet and take the other rises on the chin. I did consider VM but they really sting you on the line rental and inclusive calls, if only I could get the wife to not use the landline!

Gary
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Jul-15 13:56:57
Print Post

Like you I couldn't find anything on SSE, so put a post here - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp/t/4404036-...

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - EE via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User binary
(member) Fri 04-Sep-15 10:52:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Believe they use Daisy Group and we have some speed tests where people change the auto from Daisy to SSE and get good FTTC speeds

http://tbb.st/1435272542520945355

Of course FTTC is distance dependant, so if going from ADSL2+ to FTTC a lot depends on cabinet distance, if a FTTC migration then should be about same.

Long contract with SSE would be my concern

I'm thinking of giving them a whirl, despite the uncertainties, and perhaps against my better judgement. Have had a look through the MSE thread linked to elsewhere on this thread, and also a quick look at the HUKD thread.

I'd be migrating from an Openreach WLR line with BT Wholesale based broadband, so no issues with switching from an LLU provider. Already have FTTC too, so no need for an engineer visit - though one comment from someone in this situation said that SSE insisted on booking an FTTC installation appointment for an Openreach engineer anyway, which was then cancelled as being unnecessary a few days before the switch-over date.

The price is undoubtedly an attraction - £22 all in for their up to 38Mbps service (my line can only manage circa 50Mbps, despite the close proximity of the FTTC cabinet, so I think I'd go for the lower speed.) Worth noting that caller ID is a significant extra cost, should one want it - £3.25 a month.

I wouldn't be taking a calls package, but I just took a look at them out of curiosity...
www.southern-electric.co.uk/PhoneAndBroadband/ProductsTalk/

I see the line rental magically jumps from £12 a month for the basic Talk Weekend package (which is their most basic line rental offer), to £15 a month for any of the other call packages (Evening & Weekend, Anytime, Anytime Plus) - with the cost of those packages being extra on top of that. Not a practice I like, but I guess it's all about the headline lowest price.
  Print Thread

Jump to