General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gtmcclinton
(regular) Tue 21-Jul-15 10:05:00
Print Post

Provider choice when moving home

[link to this post]

At my current address I have Sky Fibre Unlimited 38Mb/s, and have been pretty happy with it, however I am just out of contract and can choose another ISP (not sure if they could have held me to contract if I move house though)

My new area is ADSL Max, so 8Mb max, no LLU, and I think I am on an exchange only line.

There is FTTP planned for some areas, although no mention of mine, but I hold out some hope that EO lines will get put on to FTTP.

I occasionally work from home, and like to stream Netflix HD channels (not at the same time)

I am also looking at the possibility of setting up a dual WAN router, and sticking MiFi on the second port and load balancing the two connections.

What would be the best ISP for me, which would allow me to upgrade to FTTP with minimum fuss if it becomes available?

I would prefer unlimited, but I'm not sure if this is even available on non LLU connections.

Thanks for any advice.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-15 10:36:32
Print Post

Re: Provider choice when moving home

[re: gtmcclinton] [link to this post]

BT and PlusNet are both non LLU and other unlimited. Though if on smaller exchange PlusNet may be more expensive than BT.

Zen is another option http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/zen/package/1549.html

BT actively sell FTTP where available from Openreach, Zen if you chase them and if already a PlusNet customer they are usually happy to connect you.

I trust you have verified the speeds at the new property, as if under 3 Mbps your streaming abilities start to be curtailed, i.e. HD becomes SD

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gtmcclinton
(regular) Tue 21-Jul-15 10:49:58
Print Post

Re: Provider choice when moving home

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I haven't been able to ascertain the actual speed the property gets, but the BT line checker seems to think 7.5Mb.

I have seen reports of speeds in the range 5-7 from the area.

I'm hoping for no lower than 5!

Before fibre, I spent 12 years on 2Mb, so I know streaming isn't very viable at those speeds.

At least the 3G speeds are decent in the area

I've use PlusNet before, and was quite happy, so maybe I'll give them another shot.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to