General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User user7423
(committed) Sat 26-Sep-15 06:58:45
Print Post

Moving very soon, PAYG dial up for temporary use

[link to this post]

Does any one know of a PAYG dial up just to use when I move, until I get my broadband up and running.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 26-Sep-15 08:29:53
Print Post

Re: Moving very soon, PAYG dial up for temporary use

[re: user7423] [link to this post]

Most use 3G or 4G from mobile rather than dial up now

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User user7423
(committed) Sat 26-Sep-15 10:40:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have a phone, but where I am moving to, it is a little spotty the mobile connection and not always able to reach websites or use the apps, that's why I wanted to use a dial up connection for the odd thing I needed to do. Thanks for the reply.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User keith969
(regular) Sat 26-Sep-15 10:58:55
Print Post

you could try this one: http://freeola.com/dial-up-internet/

or look for wifi access e.g. Tescos or coffee shops. Also your local library should have PCs you can use for web browsing.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 26-Sep-15 12:22:35
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

Given the size of many web pages and the shift towards 'hero' sized graphics on many, dial-up access will probably be so painful that saving up your web use until you get to a decent connection would be better.

Perhaps rather than borrowing a bowl of sugar, borrow a little of the neighbours Wi-Fi with their permission of course.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Adrianuk
(learned) Sat 26-Sep-15 13:18:42
Print Post

There will more than likely be a BT WiFi hotspot around from a BT customer - not sure of the prices but as long as it is working correctly will likely be more tolerable than dialup.
Standard User keith969
(regular) Sat 26-Sep-15 13:44:17
Print Post

[re: Adrianuk] [link to this post]

It depends on location, in my village area I'm the only one offering BT FON to nearby users.
Standard User keith969
(regular) Sat 26-Sep-15 14:00:03
Print Post

When I moved house about 6 years ago it took BT 3 weeks to get my phone working, despite there was an existing line. Reason given was that the previous owner had forgotten to cancel. Despite many calls to them and proof that I was the current owner, they would not budge. Then a further week after the phone was enabled for broadband to be enabled (completely ridiculous - how long does it actually take to enable it at the exchange?!)

I tried using an Orange dongle but without 3G the data rate was almost unusable for anything except email. Ended up renting an office in a place nearby - fortunately the company I worked for paid for it.

Still think it's crazy that electricity, gas, water are available from day 1 you move in, but phone/broadband are not!
Standard User user7423
(committed) Sat 26-Sep-15 21:18:47
Print Post

Your story reminds of a time I changed provider and BT cocked up and it took seven weeks before I was connected.
Standard User user7423
(committed) Sat 26-Sep-15 21:20:56
Print Post

Cheers Keith, it will be just for emails mainly, not browsing the web, unless it is absolutely necessary
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to