General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zed666
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:19:45
Print Post

Do any ISP's still exist that offer control of your profile

[link to this post]

I spent many Years with BE broadband because they gave me full control over SnR and fastpath.....when they were bought out by O2 I switched to BT which has been a complete nightmare.

I do a lot of downloading so connection speed is always important.....when I found out that only 88% or so of sync speed can be used with BT ADSL I was shocked....and over the year I've used BT I have had no end of my profile being banded (capped sync rate) and stupid SnR's applied due to me messing with my home network... Even powercuts seem to knock Megabytes off my connection that never return.

So my question is, Is there any service still out there that do not use these stupid DLM systems and just sync everytime at your fastest possible speed?

I was going to buy a router that enabled me to adjust my SnR with BT but that will do absolutely nothing with DLM capping my sync speed anyway.

I noticed my exchange has Sky/TalkTalk/C&W as LLU products......I am leaning towards going C&W through the new Vodafone Connect product.....any thoughts?
Standard User Zed666
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:11:51
Print Post

Re: Do any ISP's still exist that offer control of your prof

[re: Zed666] [link to this post]

After some googling, I see that TalkTalk will disable DLM for you if requested.... I seem to see varying reports of this on the various Sky posts...vodafone is a mystery.
Standard User AdrianPH
(learned) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:19:11
Print Post

https://twitter.com/unocomm

speak to Uno, they might have some LLU packages that have control or no even no DLM .

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:58:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zed666:
... and over the year I've used BT I have had no end of my profile being banded (capped sync rate) and stupid SnR's applied due to me messing with my home network... Even powercuts seem to knock Megabytes off my connection that never return.
That seems odd, and possibly specific to your connection.

Is there anything special about it that you know of, for instance a very dodgy mains electricity supply? Banding on ADSLx is very rare.

SNRM rises due to messing with your network should also be easily avoided - how often does this happen?

As a point of interest the 88.2% of sync speed on BT Wholesale ADSL2+ circuits is no big deal. You didn't get above 85% on BE once ATM and TCP/IP overheads were accounted for. The BTW system in broad terms covers the bulk of those as it governs the rate the data stream is inserted into the ATM packet stream. The O2/Be system just let them directly affect the data speed as seen from speed tests or large downloads.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Zed666
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 20:22:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Robert,

Re the 88%. Well, all I know is when I had BE syncing at around 13Mbit my downloads would never be that far off given a good download source.....Bt on the other hand would be a very strict 88% of my 11.*Mbit sync....it was certainly noticeable.

But, let me detail my recent altercation with BT which has made me want to move:

As mentioned, my BE service would sync at 12-13Mbit, I think I got around 11 when I first moved to BT. Recently, after a lot of messing about on my part (moving around routers etc) trying to get my home network setup the way I wanted, I saw DLM move up my SNR to 9 and had a sync rate of 8.....I had this for months until I finally requested BT reset my line profile and if possible, move me to fastpath (which was fine with BE).....this is where the big issues began. The fastpath destroyed my line, it synced at 8Mbit but packet loss was about 10%..... After waiting a further 3 days for them to reenable interleave my sync rate has now dropped to 4.4Mbit (no doubt due to all the pastpath errors)......4days later and its still there.

Obviously I understand that it is me messing around unplugging routers that has caused all this DLM upset to begin with....but the whole process of trying to get it sorted takes weeks for what should be a simple task. I dont want my sync rate/noise margin governed by past line noise/errors/disconnections...I want it to sync at what its capable of, there and then.

I remember years and years ago my line started getting noisy whenever it rained heavily....I left it like that for years because the next day I would be back to syncing at full speed again...until the line got worse and I had to have BT fix it smile....the good ol' days.

Edited by Zed666 (Sun 11-Oct-15 20:44:19)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Oct-15 21:06:03
Print Post

ADSL2-2+on my line never performed to an optimal standard 24/7 due to noise on the E side pair , the G.dmt (up to 8mbits) worked without issue even when on a white label BTW service Tiscali uk 2 & 8mb When i had a SMPF LLU service with UkOnline (owned& later closed by Sky) and later BE there,owned by o2 Telefonica uk ,DLM would of hammered me, but no such demon existed or was used by both , Although UkOnline was and always will be the better of the 2 , better peering , capacity,redundancy, lower contention and better support
All isp's should be able to disable DLM on request of the customer regardless of who's network the circuit uses , as long as they are made aware of the possible effects & also understand them regarding performance ect of doing this
Standard User SteelArt
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 08:25:33
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of bb users wouldn't understand any of this. Most wouldn't know how their line is performing. All they care about is cost and enough speed and capacity to do a few emails and log into facebook all day long.

Only the niche providers will cater for this and they don't come cheap!
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Mon 12-Oct-15 09:14:44
Print Post

AAISP does it - you have full access to it via the control panel. I found it pretty useful.

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User chilting
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 09:39:18
Print Post

Sounds like AAISP would be a good option for you. Not only do you have the control panel but you have direct access to the technical staff when you need them.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Oct-15 10:33:30
Print Post

[re: chilting] [link to this post]

Surely if you are on a BTw line with AAISP you are still subjected to the vagaries of the BT IP Profile and DLM? I know you can set the AAISP rate.

If your line is a TalkTalk Wholesale line with AAISP I can see that would be a different matter.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to