General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User j314
(newbie) Wed 14-Oct-15 01:10:08
Print Post

Only ADSLMax available at my exchange. Which ISP do I want?

[link to this post]

See title- no LLU operators at my Market A exchange, or anything at all other than ADSLMax. I'm quite far from the exchange, too, so I can't expect great speeds whatever I do, but I want to salvage as high a speed and (especially) as low a latency as possible.

With that in mind, which ISP do you guys suggest? It needs to be unlimited (as in actually truly unlimited) and have no traffic shaping at all. I need to remotely access various servers, so low latency is a priority if possible. It's also important that I'm not locked into using a particular proprietary router/modem.

AAISP sound great, but lack of a real unmetered option is a dealbreaker.

Thanks smile
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Oct-15 07:56:56
Print Post

Re: Only ADSLMax available at my exchange. Which ISP do I wa

[re: j314] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j314:
It needs to be unlimited (as in actually truly unlimited) and have no traffic shaping at all. I need to remotely access various servers, so low latency is a priority if possible.
Is that really what you want (streaming, gaming or VoIP can be [censored] up if you start a download at the same time)? Or do you actually mean your line to run at maximum capacity at all times no matter what type of traffic mix you are using but with priority being given to the time critical traffic such as streaming, gaming or VoIP?

Plusnet should be right for you but you can rule them out for two reasons:

1. Their pricing on exchanges such as yours is terrible - BT is cheaper.

2. Their support is going to pot, when it works it's fine but when things go wrong...

Have you checked out whether there is any prospect of fibre? http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ - also check for BDUK funded upgrades - list of websites here: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/rural-broadband/

That may suggest you should avoid getting in to a long term contract.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Oct-15 08:39:33
Print Post

If all you have available is ADSL Max, there will be a great deal of commonality whichever supplier you go with. The supplier will have to use the BT Wholesale DSLAM with its associated DLM (which are important factors in determining the sync speed), also the BT Wholesale backhaul. There will be some differences depending on how the traffic is handed over to the ISP and the geographical location(s) of that handover (which are the main factors affecting latency).

Unfortunately 20CN backhaul capacity is expensive and people are increasingly migrating away from this system as the roll out of newer technologies continues. Providers face difficult decisions about capacity versus visible contention (with contention causing jitter, noticeable slowdowns and, in more extreme cases, packet loss).

I believe Virgin, Sky and TalkTalk have stopped offering new 'off net' connections via BT Wholesale - these services, even if still available, have had a fair number of contention related complaints.

One important factor is whether you require static IP, or whether dynamic is acceptable.

It sounds like any of the quality BT Wholesale based providers can potentially meet your needs, but unlimited options are rare and possibly non existent because of the high backhaul costs to the provider on 20CN. AAISP do not do unlimited other than on their expensive dedicated bandwidth products (Ethernet over FTTx and so on). I'm fairly sure Zen's unlimited broadband product is only available over 21CN or Zen's own network, though you could ask Zen sales (I think they will only offer you one of their more expensive and limited '8000' products). I don't know if any of the other smaller providers could help, such as IDnet. Plusnet is a possibility, but their user forum has a lot of disquiet at the moment and they typically charge more on a Market A exchange.

Hopefully someone in a similar position to you will be able to offer some advice. I'm in a fairly small town, which meant we were not top of the queue for any upgrades. We had what is now Virgin cable in most of the town before there was any ADSL and, over the years, we have been fortunate enough to get 20CN ADSL, 21CN, a couple of LLU providers and FTTC via the commercial rollout to almost all cabs (a couple more were enabled via the local BDUK project). Hopefully, in time, there is some sort of upgrade available to you, but I realise you are after something for now.

Edited by David_W (Wed 14-Oct-15 08:41:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 961a
(member) Wed 14-Oct-15 09:42:35
Print Post

It has to be BT doesn't it. I'm on 20CN ADSL with a Billion 7800n router and get consistent 6.8mbps. Unlimited broadband is costing under £6 per month on a 12 month contract
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Oct-15 09:52:16
Print Post

The two mass market ISPs most folk use in my area, very rural with line connections to 20CN exchanges (EO) are BT and Plusnet, other smaller ISP's are available at greater cost with sometimes only fixed monthly GB usage available.

Customer service is sometimes a problem with these larger ISPs if you need faults sorted but more in the length of time spent trying to get through in the case of Plusnet UK CS, BT first line support is based in India AFAIK.

I can only get a stable connection with a sync rate under 4Meg due to a long line length to the exchange and have had no issues with that from my ISP.

First year costs are usually low due to various ISP promotions and can be even cheaper via cashback deals from cashback sites.

Line rental from BT and PN is not the cheapest available but bundle deals (BB+Line rental/calls etc) make BB on it's own from an ISP usually more expensive.

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Wed 14-Oct-15 09:53:28)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Oct-15 10:04:06
Print Post

BT is your best bet, but this will depend own if you require a static IP or not!
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 14-Oct-15 10:30:15
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Me too.

GU28 0PJ with Lodsworth Exchange 1485m away according to Sam Knows. Only BT found to be an acceptable ISP and have Business Broadband Unlimited, Business Value PSTN phone line and Business Call Essentials Plan & Call Package with them.

The Line Installation cost £115 and FOC for Broadband Installation.

Using a Draytek 2860Vn plus router which reports syncing with G.DMT Annex A with Up 832000, Down 7840000, SNR 6 and Att 38.

A Fixed IP is satisfied using DDNS as it is cheaper than being provided with a fixed IP from BT. Yes the service is not zippy but able to use VoIP and remote CCTV over VPN. Obviously not everything at once!

Will shortly be using bonding, with the need for a second line, using ShareBand which should almost double the current speed. OK the monthly rental for this setup is not cheap but there isn't a viable alternative. Yet.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 14-Oct-15 11:13:52
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

A BT Business broadband connection does look to be the best, given the OP's clear need for fast fault fixing and a decent SLA. Possibly with a second line as backup with someone like Aquiss or vivaciti on a residential allowance package.

Bonding or load sharing are also a possibility.

I must say I'm always very doubtful of someone needing an unlimited allowance on a home business connection. Businesses with dozens of employees rarely need that.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 14-Oct-15 11:15:14)

Standard User j314
(newbie) Wed 14-Oct-15 11:46:05
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Okay wow thanks everyone, very helpful advice in here.
In reply to a post by jelv:
Is that really what you want (streaming, gaming or VoIP can be [censored] up if you start a download at the same time)? Or do you actually mean your line to run at maximum capacity at all times no matter what type of traffic mix you are using but with priority being given to the time critical traffic such as streaming, gaming or VoIP?
I did more mean "no throttling upon detection of certain kinds of traffic". Ideally I'd also prefer to handle QoS myself at the router level, but I'm less fussed about that really.

Plusnet should be right for you but you can rule them out for two reasons:
1. Their pricing on exchanges such as yours is terrible - BT is cheaper.
2. Their support is going to pot, when it works it's fine but when things go wrong...
Okay, thanks. I was indeed considering them and it sounds like they're a bad idea.

Have you checked out whether there is any prospect of fibre?
I have and there's nothing unfortunately.

In reply to a post by David_W:
If all you have available is ADSL Max, there will be a great deal of commonality whichever supplier you go with. The supplier will have to use the BT Wholesale DSLAM with its associated DLM (which are important factors in determining the sync speed), also the BT Wholesale backhaul. There will be some differences depending on how the traffic is handed over to the ISP and the geographical location(s) of that handover (which are the main factors affecting latency).
Makes sense.

One important factor is whether you require static IP, or whether dynamic is acceptable.
Not critical- I'd prefer it but I can always use DyDNS and similar services to achieve a similar result.

It sounds like any of the quality BT Wholesale based providers can potentially meet your needs, but unlimited options are rare and possibly non existent because of the high backhaul costs to the provider on 20CN.
BT Retail does offer an unlimited product even on 20CN. Are there any disadvantages to going with them?

In reply to a post by 961a:
It has to be BT doesn't it.
Yeah, looks like...

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
The two mass market ISPs most folk use in my area, very rural with line connections to 20CN exchanges (EO) are BT and Plusnet, other smaller ISP's are available at greater cost with sometimes only fixed monthly GB usage available.

Okay, BT/Plusnet again...

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Thanks trolleybus- BT definitely sounds like the best option here

Quick questions for anyone:
* Can I get 800k upload on BT Retail? This seems to be a controversial point. If I can, would it affect latency and/or downstream bandwidth?
* Is there a significant difference between BT's Home and Business broadband products? They seem to be roughly the same price, but Business gets an older model of their router and gives the option to pay more for a static IP. Are they handled/prioritised differently?
Standard User j314
(newbie) Wed 14-Oct-15 11:57:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
A BT Business broadband connection does look to be the best, given the OP's clear need for fast fault fixing and a decent SLA. Possibly with a second line as backup with someone like Aquiss or vivaciti on a residential allowance package.

Bonding or load sharing are also a possibility.

I must say I'm always very doubtful of someone needing an unlimited allowance on a home business connection. Businesses with dozens of employees rarely need that.

It's for both home and work-from-home use. I download a lot and in 2015 I don't want to be worrying about usage on my home connection. Even my phone's 3G connection is 100% unlimited (and I've verified this- downloading hundreds of gigs over it some months.)

I might get a second line and bond in the future, but not straight away. Does anyone other than AAISP actually offer that right now?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to