General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User keymoo
(regular) Mon 16-Nov-15 18:53:45
Print Post

Considering Zen for FTTC

[link to this post]

I am considering Zen for my 55mbit FTTC connection. My current ISP has capacity issues once a month when Microsoft updates get released. Has anyone with Zen experienced the same thing? My connection drops to between 0.5 and 3mbit once a month for a variable length of time, anywhere from a few hours to 2 days. I am considering the Unlimited Fibre 2 package.
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Nov-15 16:22:32
Print Post

Re: Considering Zen for FTTC

[re: keymoo] [link to this post]

I've never had any problems with Zen and thoroughly recommend them. Having said that, I've only ever called support once but they were very helpful and it was a flaky router issue (it was disconnecting / reconnecting about 20 times a minute because I had put some hacked firmware on there).

I don't get any slowdown, and just checked my stats and amazingly download 500gb a month! That is a shocking amount, and mainly due to the fact that all the people in the house just watch VoD and never 'live' TV.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Nov-15 18:33:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by keymoo:
I am considering Zen for my 55mbit FTTC connection. My current ISP has capacity issues once a month when Microsoft updates get released. Has anyone with Zen experienced the same thing? My connection drops to between 0.5 and 3mbit once a month for a variable length of time, anywhere from a few hours to 2 days. I am considering the Unlimited Fibre 2 package.

It would possibly depend on if Zen has their llu kit in your exchange or not, if they have then it would their backhaul and no other party involvement BTw out of the equation no ip profile either, so perhaps a small throughput boost to , i haven't seen any posts about congestion on the zen back haul,

If Zen doesn't have a llu presence in your exchange or the exchange the Fibre goes to if different, then the backhaul would be BTW's Which as far as i'm aware doesn't have the specific issue you have been seeing either, but BTW do run their network close to the wire, as such Svlan's Cvlan's can see congestion, usually in the evenings (peak times) which is due to the number of people on-line and their activities at those times,
But it shouldn't be that problematic to convince zen's support that you are having low throughput issues should you ever see that, They than will take it up with BTW who hopefully wont take an age to sort out capacity or swap you to a less contended Svlan ect,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User derekdel
(regular) Sat 21-Nov-15 19:50:24
Print Post

Zen are good, customer service is flawless.
If you can get on their own network LLU that would be a big bonus, if not then you will be reliant on BTW network [as mentioned].

As long as the BTW is stable you will get the very best performance from your line 24/7.... if like my area we are onto our second 'congestion' or 'capacity' issue this year!!!

I would compare BTW network to a donkey that's trying to race at the grand national, flog it hard enough and it will eventually get there in the end [area specific I guess]

Zen are good

ZeN Line 1 BQM
ZeN Line 2 BQM
BT Backhaul sucks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 21-Nov-15 20:16:33
Print Post

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

Well the underlying providers are few. BT Wholesale, Sky, TalkTalk and Vodafone. The vast majority of ISPs using BT Wholesale. Zen having one of the highest reputations. Thinkbroadband comparison.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to