General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Redintention
(newbie) Sat 12-Dec-15 17:05:05
Print Post

Any ISPs that allow user to change DNS with their routers?

[link to this post]

I'm currently with BT Infinity on their 76Mbit service. My contract is up in January and I am looking to see if there are better deals. Although I was given a Homehub 5 I am currently using an Openreach modem and my own router so that I can use my own DNS provider.

Do any of the big names provide routers that allow the DNS settings to be changed?
I'm worried that I may run into problems with my current setup if I move provider so trying to find this out in advance. Thanks.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 12-Dec-15 17:16:39
Print Post

Re: Any ISPs that allow user to change DNS with their router

[re: Redintention] [link to this post]

The Openreach modem was originally supplied to all ISP's so it should work with all of them still.

Which router are you using?

Are you using a Huawei HG612 Openreach modem?

Are you connected to a Huawei cabinet?
Standard User Redintention
(newbie) Sat 12-Dec-15 17:25:32
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It's a D-Link DIR-850L router and yes, the Huawei modem. I have no idea about the cabinet but I have just looked up some photos and can take a run past later on. It's not something I have noticed tbh.
I was unsure about the setup if I moved because it was a pain using my own router with Sky a few years ago and had to extract my login details from the supplied router. Is that not an issue with fibre? If not that would open up a few options.

EDIT: Huawei cabinet judging from street view

Edited by Redintention (Sat 12-Dec-15 17:30:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 12-Dec-15 17:33:54
Print Post

Yes, it's an issue with Sky but I managed so not impossible. I'm not sure the Dlink would work though.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Dec-15 20:54:06
Print Post

I would have thought most of them. EE certainly does or you can use your own router.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Dec-15 18:11:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Redintention:
I'm currently with BT Infinity on their 76Mbit service. My contract is up in January and I am looking to see if there are better deals. Although I was given a Homehub 5 I am currently using an Openreach modem and my own router so that I can use my own DNS provider.

Do any of the big names provide routers that allow the DNS settings to be changed?
I'm worried that I may run into problems with my current setup if I move provider so trying to find this out in advance. Thanks.

Just use your own router - then you can do what you like. The only provider that makes this more awkward than average is Sky, but even then it isn't impossible (I use the Sky Supplied Router (SR101?) with an Openreach modem, but my DHCP is done by another device, and thus I can (and do) use whatever DNS I prefer.

I'm not aware (yet) of anyone that is hijacking actual DNS requests yet, thank god.
Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Dec-15 19:41:13
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

using a supplied router from merula, i prefer to use www.opendns.com to block some questionable sites from general browsing

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula FTTC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Dec-15 20:56:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Redintention:

From my personal experience , i have always used the DNS of my choice, if an isp wanted to prevent this i would give them a wide berth on principle, Not just because of them possibly interfering with DNS requests for censorship /web blocking (pandering to the film and music corps) but because isp's dns server tend to be very flaky anyway

Always own router or router/ modem AIO for me,

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 20-Dec-15 20:57:16)

Print Thread

Jump to