General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User NickyJ
(member) Mon 21-Dec-15 12:21:58
Print Post

Any recent SSE experience?

[link to this post]

My parents are looking at signing upto SSE broadband (non fibre), they have no LLU options so for them it looks a reasonably attractive offering.

Unfortunately searching for SSE on here returns helpful posts containing words like "Assessment" etc which yes I agree contains SSE but not what I was trying to find.

I have found a few threads but nothing more recent than August hence wondering if there are any more recent experience people can share?

Thanks so much

My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
Just switched from Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf) to Sky.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Dec-15 13:09:24
Print Post

Re: Any recent SSE experience?

[re: NickyJ] [link to this post]

This is the latest thread I can see.

If looking for decent broadband I would go elsewhere but if it is for basic web/email usage and maybe odd streaming then probably not the worst in the world.
Standard User NickyJ
(member) Mon 21-Dec-15 13:19:12
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for that - more recent than I have found. They don't stream, they don't play online games, they just want it for email and general browsing. For reference their current package has a 8gb download cap.

Now enjoying the speed of Fibre!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Dec-15 14:14:01
Print Post

You get what you pay for. For their usage it may be fine but they might find issues if they need support or if something goes wrong with the billing. If it was a family member that I provide support to then I would advise them against SSE for my own sanity - but if they are clear that they may not get stellar service then it may be fine for them. Remember though that if they decide it isn't right for them they will be stuck with it until the contract ends.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Dec-15 17:11:26
Print Post

I looked at this a while back, but they were very slow in getting back to me with some basic answers. frown

I think someone pointed out the 18 month minimum contract in an earlier thread. Not an issue if things go smoothly, but ......

I seem to recall their offer has changed somewhat lately, so probably no longer as attractive as it was as well.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Plusnet via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Dec-15 21:40:15
Print Post

FWIW I had reason to call their support desk, I was completely underwhelmed by the two people I spoke withs ability to answer even basic questions. Not good.

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Dec-15 21:46:07
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

They didn't even seem interested in selling, let alone supporting the package, when I contacted them. frown

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Plusnet via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User NickyJ
(member) Sat 06-Feb-16 16:08:06
Print Post

Just an update that my parents signed up and switched over. They had no issues, smooth switch over and the performance is just as good (well bad in my view but that is distance from exchange and nothing can be done about that) as they were getting with previous supplier but for significantly less money.

Now enjoying the speed of Fibre!
  Print Thread

Jump to