General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pug205rally
(newbie) Wed 30-Dec-15 08:50:28
Print Post

Broad band and phone separate suppliers in Market1 exchange

[link to this post]

I am connected to a Market 1 exchange SSTRY and my recent BT broadband deal has run out negotiated on the basis my line speed is sub 2Mbps. On expiry of the deal BT are now asking £23 a month for unlimited Broadband instead of £14 on the old deal. I am not in a good position to move being part way through a 12month phone rental pre-pay and very limited 3rd party provision on the exchange. My questions are twofold

Why on a Market 1 exchange is it not possible to have phone from one supplier and a broadband connection from someone else - appears very simple technically I'd have thought and help with competition

Secondly any suggestions for a new ISP

Comments appreciated - am new to this subject and any advice thoughts welcome
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Dec-15 09:12:21
Print Post

Re: Broad band and phone separate suppliers in Market1 excha

[re: pug205rally] [link to this post]

There has NEVER been an problem with having phone and broadband from different suppliers - I've never had them from the same supplier on two different market 1 exchanges.

What you will find if that ISPs will offer you cheaper broadband packages if you also take their phone package - that is purely for commercial reasons as they hide the true cost in more expensive line rental.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 30-Dec-15 09:16:00
Print Post

Plenty of ISPs will supply you with broadband with your line staying with BT. The problem is the cost on that exchange, given you say you want unlimited usage.

Is unlimited vital? How much do you actually download and upload per month, and could any of that be scheduled to run overnight rather than daytime?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 30-Dec-15 09:16:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Dec-15 09:21:13
Print Post

In addition to the other comments have you tried ringing BTs cancellation line to see if they will offer you a continued discount (assuming you may want to stay with them).

With BT phone rental there are a number of ISPs you can use for broadband so at least the broadband element you can move.

I have now managed to get all my BT contracts in line and range them yesterday as I am coming to the end of my special deal with them. Managed to get a reasonable discount off them with a 15 minute phone call - no arguing, just asked what they could do and they made me an offer that was good enough for me to not bother looking around.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Dec-15 09:25:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Here's one example of unlimited: https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/ (not that I would recommend them at the moment - they are great when it works, but their support when it doesn't is getting pretty bad).

You have to know how to find this page as they try to hide it for the reason I gave in my previous post.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Telephone rental: Pulse8

Edited by jelv (Wed 30-Dec-15 09:27:20)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Dec-15 11:23:12
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I see for those folk not in a low cost area PN's "unlimited broadband" only is £19.99 a month with a 12 month contract.

plusnet user
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 30-Dec-15 14:04:24
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Uh! Plus a £25 activation charge, which takes the effective price to over £22 for the first year, against the £23 from BT.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User 69bertie
(learned) Wed 30-Dec-15 19:24:56
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

One reason I never moved. By the time you took into consideration the increase, when not a low cost area, prices tended to be about the same as BT. For my line, I looked at Sky and Talk Talk online, filled in the details and both came back that they couldn't/wouldn't do the business.

Strange to say though, as soon as the Fibre cabinet went live, I could (and did) get deals from all over the place for both/either broadband and phone. Presumably the fibre part knocks it away from being a mainly BTW preserve.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Dec-15 08:19:31
Print Post

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

Presumably the fibre part knocks it away from being a mainly BTW preserve

I think it is the other way round. ADSL can be provided at a number of different levels and Sky/TalkTalk do full local loop unbundling. But, FTTC can't be unbundled to the same level so is much more similar across all suppliers (there are still some differences with the way Sky/TalkTalk take the FTTC service but less so than with ADSL).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Dec-15 10:51:16
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

With FTTC as the data is carried back to a larger exchange then backhaul options are available and providers are keener to do business since their cost per Mbps that you use at peak times is less.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to