General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Alucidnation
(newbie) Fri 01-Jan-16 20:58:47
Print Post

Looking to move from Plusnet

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Contract is up with Plusnet, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on alternatives?

Ive been looking at maybe going to BT (although from previous CS experience it makes me nervous) but i have also been hearing good things about Pulse8.

I dont think they are LLU at my exchange so would i still be able to use them for fibre?

Do they employ any form of traffic shaping?

AFter doing a speed check on their site, they give me an estimate of between 55-75Mbps, which is roughly what i am seeing with plusnet (63Mbps).

All i am looking for really, is someone who can provide buffer free streaming with browsing etc in the evenings.

Cheers.
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Fri 01-Jan-16 21:28:20
Print Post

Re: Looking to move from Plusnet

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

BT business for broadband and Pulse8 for line rental/calls...that's what I have done.
(learned) Fri 01-Jan-16 21:31:57
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Ok thanks.

What benefits does BT business broadband have over the residential product?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jan-16 22:11:06
Print Post

Pulse 8 use Talk Talk Wholesale So if your Exchange has TT LLU then Pulse 8 can supply BB to you,

Pros: 1month min term, no long tie in's and taking bb i think reduces the line rental costs

Con's there are more set/activation charges, and it's not that clear what you would have to pay for a straight like for like migration , the other thing that can sometimes be an issue is that it would be full LLU just like sky and tt retail are, the issues can arise when migrating away , though Pulse 8 also supply line rental only on BT's WLR3 platform,

There are quite a few other suppliers who will offer bb only, the likes of Zen , Aquiss, to name a couple
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-Jan-16 22:14:10
Print Post

Please could you tell us the exchange, just so we can be sure of the advice others have given, and I agree with.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(learned) Fri 01-Jan-16 23:36:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone.

This is my exchange..

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/STRINGW
Standard User Skilty
(member) Fri 01-Jan-16 23:38:24
Print Post

In theory Pulse8 should be fine on your exchange as they resell TalkTalk Business for their Fibre products.

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User Skilty
(member) Fri 01-Jan-16 23:45:25
Print Post

I am assuming it would be support but you are locked into a 24 month contract, unless you pay extra for a 12 month contract.

The Fibre is £40+VAT and then line rental at £13+BAT

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Jan-16 00:00:32
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Also business priority fault fixing and the support is UK based.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Jan-16 00:03:35
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Pulse8 will equally supply Broadband if no TT LLU. They will also do SMPF for those shy of taking their line away from BTW, which is exactly what we have in mind here on a rubbish EE broadband service. More than happy with the service I get from Pulse8 at our other property. Call charges 1p, no call connection fee and per second billing. Fibre connection charges were increased because folks were abusing their no tie-in fibre and using them as a stepping stone to elsewhere on fibre after a month. ADSL charges are only likely where no phone line or like for like service.
"Activation charges may apply if you do not have a working telephone line and no existing ADSL service exists."

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/51d002ae1b8...

Edited by professor973 (Sat 02-Jan-16 00:16:30)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to