General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 2wayman
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-16 09:19:43
Print Post

Value an opintion

[link to this post]

Hello, just thought I'd try and get some info/help regarding changing provider. Currently with TT since 2012 on 80/20 fibre profile which despite being a rock solid connection is now once again getting slower and slower, it now syncs. @ 38 Mpbs exactly the fibre medium profile. Had 4 OR engineer visits now which they 'Reset' everything and I then get near max speeds up and down again.Tech support won't help because I'm not using their HG533 router! Had enough now so to cut a long story short I'm looking at moving provider, I need free unlimited mobile and international calling which I get for a tenner with TT but no other provider can really much this it terms of costs (unless anybody knows different). I've looked at Zen, BT, VM, Plusnet, they are all about the same for monthly payments and speed apart from VM's obviously. I'm a quarter of a mile (400M) from my cabinet (49) at the end of my road and on the Cosham exchange, I have a fibre nte5 faceplate from which the modem (ECI) is plugged in then into the router Netgear (R7000), there are no phone extensions etc. I'd appreciate some thoughts/suggestions and maybe who to go with, I'm paying about £60/month, not interested in the TV side as I'm a 2way satellite installer so have access to millions of tv channels!
Thank you in advance all, I look forward to hearing from you all..................
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Jan-16 11:01:02
Print Post

Re: Value an opintion

[re: 2wayman] [link to this post]

Do you know the "exactly" 38Mbps sync from the HG633, or have you hacked the ECI?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Jan-16 11:15:00
Print Post

Um.

I've just read your April 2014 thread. Have you followed the advice about getting an HG612 so you can monitor the line properly?

My point is that with that we have more chance of telling you whether or not an ISP change would make any difference, or whether you are stuck with the lower speed anyway. The diagnostics available from the HG612 can also help in surmising the cause of the slow-down and whether there is anything that can be done about it.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 2wayman
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-16 11:49:10
Print Post

Re: Value an opinion

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you RobertoS for replying, No I don't have a HG612, I have a ECI one which I believe can't be used for diagnostics or can it be hacked as I have a spare brand new one. The OCE's at TT confirmed I can sycn at nearly max. speed up and down. I'm beginning to think there are more complex problems 'down the line' I've had a lift and shift done and had dlm resets too. I feel maybe going to VM may be the way forward but read so many conflicting reports about them ref. upload speed ( I'm not into gaming what soever) and customer service; to be fair to TT I hardly called their customer services and when I did it was sorted pretty quickly or via their forum thing.

Karl

Edited by 2wayman (Sun 10-Jan-16 11:50:27)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jan-16 12:25:27
Print Post

All I can say is virginmedia had the best customer service I've experienced from an ISP.

My connection however has significant issues. Pings are not consistent and speedwise on an evening it falls anywhere between 5Mbps and 60Mbps, down from 100.

Granted, with very little resistance virginmedia let me leave the contract without charge - getting BT installed on the 19th.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 10-Jan-16 12:26:03)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Jan-16 13:21:10
Print Post

As I said, without the information from an HG612 as recommended nearly two years ago by an expert on analysing such, and easily obtained from eBay, there is every possibility you would move to another ISP for an inferior phone product, pay more in total, and get no difference on your broadband.

If the problem were to turn out to be simple congestion on the TalkTalk network then migrating could help. We have no idea. We don't even know how you know it now syncs "@ 38 Mpbs exactly the fibre medium profile".

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 10-Jan-16 13:22:16)

Standard User Skilty
(member) Mon 11-Jan-16 11:01:36
Print Post

Sky offer their Sky Talk International Extra package for £12 pm.

However as Bob mentioned without stats it is impossible to tell whether this is a congestion issue or a potential line fault etc.

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM

Edited by Skilty (Mon 11-Jan-16 11:02:45)

Standard User 2wayman
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-16 20:57:19
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Thanks Chaps, I really appreciate all your help sorting this, it seems I need to get hold of a HG612! When I have one I'll get back to you asap and hopefully sort this out once and for all!

All the best,
Standard User Skilty
(member) Mon 11-Jan-16 21:05:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by 2wayman:
Thanks Chaps, I really appreciate all your help sorting this, it seems I need to get hold of a HG612! When I have one I'll get back to you asap and hopefully sort this out once and for all!

All the best,

Check on the bay, they seem to be going for around £35-£40 at the moment. Don't pay a premium for one that has been unlocked as it is easy to do by downloading the firmware and following the instructions.

Bob mentioned in another post that you need a revision 3B I think.

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User henderson112
(newbie) Tue 09-Feb-16 10:32:38
Print Post

Re: Value an opinion *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron

Edited by henderson112 (Tue 09-Feb-16 10:33:20)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to