General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tpn
(newbie) Thu 14-Jan-16 20:20:26
Print Post

FTTP ISP Choices

[link to this post]

I will (hopefully) be moving into a new build home in the next few months that has FTTP and was surprised by the lack of ISP choices I can find. As far as I can see, the only home options I have are BT, Zen and AAISP.

Much as I love AAISP (they've been a great business ISP for me in the past) their usage costs put them out of contention, which only leaves BT or Zen. Are there any options I've missed? Out of BT or Zen, which would people recommend?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Jan-16 23:04:49
Print Post

Re: FTTP ISP Choices

[re: tpn] [link to this post]

Existing Plusnet customers can usually get onto http

Its late but brain is reminding me about Claranet possibly

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Jan-16 09:15:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Existing Plusnet customers can usually get onto http

Oops!
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Its late

We'll excuse you

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Telephone rental: Pulse8

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jax2
(member) Fri 15-Jan-16 17:11:11
Print Post

I am pretty certain that there are only the four options mentioned plus possibly Plusnet. With Plusnet you used to have to be an existing ADSL customer first which could be a potential disaster if you were not absolutely certain they would then accept you as an FTTP customer. Best to contact them if you are interested in Plusnet to see exactly what the situation is now.

I am FTTP with Zen having joined them when I could only get a very poor unreliable ADSL service and as they were extremely helpful with the myriad of problems decided to say with them when FTTP became available. I had had more than enough of long distance script monkeys with a big ISP (Talk Talk) so could not face risking the same with BT. Maybe that is a slur on BT but they do not have a good reputation for support although to be fair I think they have a separate number and team for FTTP support.

Since going FTTP with Zen I have had no problems just perfect connection for three months so far. I think with FTTP it either works well or not at all. Anyway if it is inherently more reliable BT is cheaper, Zen costs more but I am happy to pay this as their support was extremely good in the past when I needed it. Hope that helps.
Standard User tpn
(newbie) Sun 17-Jan-16 11:13:00
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

Thanks all - I am not a current Plusnet subscriber so that rules them out. Looks like I'll be giving Zen a call once I have the keys to the new place. Hopefully activation doesn't take long, the BT ONT is already in place and powered on.
ISP Representative merula
(isp) Sun 17-Jan-16 11:22:59
Print Post

We also offer FTTP connections if that helps ?
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Jan-16 13:04:19
Print Post

If there is no copper to the new build Plusnet, so all you can have is FTTP, then Plusnet have supplied someone in the last few months. If you are interested in them I can try to find the relevant thread - I think it's on their Community Forums.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User boysteve
(committed) Sun 17-Jan-16 17:02:30
Print Post

Retail FTTP Providers I know of:
BT Retail
Plusnet
Andrews & Arnold Ltd.
Zen Internet
IdNet
Icuk.net

Business FTTP Providers:
Bt Business Fibre Broadband
Claranet Soho
Entanet
Griffin Internet
NBS Network Solutions
Zen Internet
IdNet business

Plusnet will take an order for FTTP but it has to be made via their telephone sales not online and it involves taking a standard ADSL product first and then upgrading at full price,no offers apply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Bt Standard broadband-Still waitinfg for FTTP since 09-06-2015
Line Rental/Calls BT from 06/07/15
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Jan-16 17:59:52
Print Post

[re: boysteve] [link to this post]

Plusnet will take an order for FTTP but it has to be made via their telephone sales not online and it involves taking a standard ADSL product first
As I said to the OP, this isn't the case if the premises are new build with only FTTP provision. They will supply.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 17-Jan-16 18:00:16)

Print Thread

Jump to