General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Thu 28-Jan-16 17:19:15
Print Post

Zen vs TalkTalk vs Plusnet vs BT vs Sky (Fibre)

[link to this post]

I understand prices vary, but I am looking for a Fibre 80/20 (or close) package around £35 inc vat or less. Service quality is more important than cheapness. I just want a service that gives a constant speed around the clock with no frequent slow down or limits, truly unlimited needed, no port throttling or peak times.

Any idea which are best for this out of those 5 providers ?

Edited by BlizzardUK (Thu 28-Jan-16 17:24:10)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jan-16 17:33:48
Print Post

Re: Zen vs TalkTalk vs Plusnet vs BT vs Sky (Fibre)

[re: BlizzardUK] [link to this post]

Any requirements re the phone package?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Thu 28-Jan-16 19:55:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry, I should have mentioned, no phone line, I will stick with my current phone provider for that (Sky Talk).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jan-16 19:59:39
Print Post

That cuts out BT and TalkTalk then, unless you have amazing gift of the gab. It also, I think, rules out any of the introductory offers from Plusnet, and it definitely incurs an extra £2.50pm from them.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 28-Jan-16 20:04:37)

Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Thu 28-Jan-16 20:13:03
Print Post

Sorry again, I will try and clear things up smile I use BT for my phone line provider bill, but I pay Sky for my calls (but keep BT as my line rental). I should have mentioned this in detail but didn't want to confuse things, but now I need to clarify given what you said. Or are you saying that just getting my calls elsewhere also cuts out BT and others ?

Edited by BlizzardUK (Thu 28-Jan-16 20:14:18)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jan-16 20:15:38
Print Post

Did you see my edit about Plusnet as well?

Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Thu 28-Jan-16 20:20:50
Print Post

Whatever happened to the good old days where ISPs didn't need you to be with them for phone lines too. So I would have to take my callplan back from Sky then unless I want a limited choice or extra penalty fees ?

What is the Zen package like ? They seem to do one for £35 without a phone line or £30 with.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jan-16 20:40:07
Print Post

It's pretty well only BT, Sky and TT that absolutely require it. But I'm still trying to understand how you have line rental with BT but calls with Sky Talk. Is that legacy products with both?

In either case I think you may be paying through the nose.
Re Zen, I don't really know. I don't monitor the Zen forum here but occasionally see complaints in more general ones where they seem to give in easily if BT Wholesale or Openreach play awkward.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Jan-16 21:54:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's pretty well only BT, Sky and TT that absolutely require it. But I'm still trying to understand how you have line rental with BT but calls with Sky Talk. Is that legacy products with both?

In either case I think you may be paying through the nose.
Re Zen, I don't really know. I don't monitor the Zen forum here but occasionally see complaints in more general ones where they seem to give in easily if BT Wholesale or Openreach play awkward.
Maybe the OP's exchange has the legacy Easynet LLU kit in it, in which case line rental would remain on the BTWr3 platform , also i didn't think that sky would provide calls only myself ,a new one on me too,
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Thu 28-Jan-16 22:28:32
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Think about it for a moment in so much as if your service all comes from one source then the blame game when there is a fault can't be played.

I am with Zen and find that they provide a good overall service, true there is room for improvement particularly for sorting out unusual/non-standard installation issues but for most help desk queries your call will be answered reasonably promptly with an English speaking person at the other end of the line.

I have a call package from them of 5000 minutes but be aware call charges outside the package to odd ball numbers, like 0700, are more expensive than most providers.

I also use their VoIP service but frustratingly it is for outgoing calls only and therefore not a fully fledged '2nd' line. On that facility you automatically get 1000 free minutes to 01/02/03 numbers.

Contract length is 12 months. You have to purchase a router either from Zen or any other 3rd party supplier. They do provide email facilities but if you decide to have your own domain name, hosted by a 3rd party, then that's fine with Zen. Your connection can be used for business purposes without breaking T&Cs.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to