General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-16 14:28:56
Print Post

Moving to fibre

[link to this post]

Hello all
Currently on a long line ADSL2+ and now have the option to connect to FTTC (top of my road). Ive lost touch with what's available and finding it a bit confusing TBH.
Long story short, I had a nighmare with BT whilst on max etc and swore to only use smaller slightly more expensive business type ISPs for customer service and supposedly better business products.
On the old MAX/ 2+ there were low contention business offers and "normal" connections, is this still the case with FTTC? Would I notice a difference between a business product and a residential one ie high traffic slowdowns, shaping etc.?

Happy to pay a bit more for service but don't want to pay for a "business" service I dont really need.

Finally, any suggestions based on the above? With Timico at the moment for BB, BT line rental at a rather pricey £19 for 4.5meg and £17 rental evening/weekend..

(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Feb-16 15:26:26
Print Post

Re: Moving to fibre

[re: chrimbow] [link to this post]

You got TT LLU at your cab? If so Pulse8 offer Talk Talk Business fibre. No contract and great support
Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-16 15:53:55
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Yes, found out yesterday that my current Timico service comes through TalkTalk apparently. Sorry, I thought LLU was different to fibre?

Edit- just checked pulse8, £44/month for 38/10mbps including line rental- is that what you mean?

Edited by chrimbow (Sat 13-Feb-16 16:01:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Feb-16 17:27:26
Print Post

That's the 76/19. The 30/10 is £38. Add £1 if you want caller display on your phone and another £2 if you want a static IP address. No call packages but the phone calls are 1ppm peak and 0.8ppm off-peak, billed per second.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 13-Feb-16 17:30:28)

Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-16 18:50:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Just double checked, the business one bobblebob mentioned in the 1st post is definitely £44, the residential is £38 smile
(assuming thats the one one he was directing me towards)

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Feb-16 18:53:18
Print Post

The residential is still resold TTB, the B denoting Business. The Business package has a higher care level.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Feb-16 19:13:27
Print Post

As professor973 says. "TalkTalk Business" isn't quite the right name. It is actually "TalkTalk Business Wholesale", meaning a division of TT that provides (sells as a wholesaler) services to resellers. Equivalent in a way to BT Wholesale.

Yes, within that there are also Residential/SOHO and Business level packages, again just like BTW.

Prof973 will know better than me what extra you get on the Business level - he is on it. IIRC the static IP address is included, maybe also the caller display.

The bog standard Pulse8 support seems pretty good.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Feb-16 19:38:15
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Alwaya wondered that. As a Pulse8 customer are we on TT Business or Residential?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Feb-16 19:49:15
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Depends which one you ordered from Pulse8. Go to the Fibre page and it has two tabs. Home packages and Business packages. Also the prices are different, as just discussed in the thread.

Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-16 20:43:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thats how I read it

Home is "standard priority" and bisiness is "high priority" which I assume refers to the traffic priority rather than customer service?

Jump to