General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kadi
(newbie) Thu 18-Feb-16 16:38:17
Print Post

High Usage ISP Recommendation

[link to this post]

We have been using Eclipse Internet since the dawn of time (2002) but have outgrown our current product and since they are no longer in the residential ISP market we need to look elsewhere for a new broadband connection.

Currently we are using up the 100GB/month that Eclipse give us and use quite a lot more than that as we have unlimited overnight downloads which is when we try to download games/software etc. We'd use even more if we weren't limiting ourselves all the time.

We currently pay £30/month and pay BT for phone/line rental on top of that, and are on an ADSL 2+ line, connected directly to the exchange so there's no chance switching to fibre. We get line speeds of around 5Mbps which isn't great but seems to be all that the line can take, I know a new ISP won't change this unfortunately!

We have a ASUS RT-N66U router which is magic compared to all our previous routers and I'd rather not use an ISP who insist you use their own hardware - I just want to plug a new username and password into the ASUS if possible.

Can anyone recommend us a decent reliable package?

Thanks.
Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Feb-16 13:57:18
Print Post

Re: High Usage ISP Recommendation

[re: kadi] [link to this post]

Hi, I used to use Eclipse, but found their service was dire and it seems they provide comms for premier inn and that service was so bad that could not even get a signal to log on

http://www.merula.net/broadband/premium.php

currently paying £30 per month for I think FTTC on an 80/20 line using their supplied kit which is a couple of routers behind the sofa, it is a legacy product and so unlimited data

tech support is good, no need to speak to a script monkey on the odd occasion that the net falls over

Looks like I have been a customer since 06/10/2006, I could get cheaper and find some sites on a block list, but the line is good

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5102392439

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula FTTC
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Sat 20-Feb-16 19:18:50
Print Post

kadi

I assume that you have checked if you can get FTTC as quite a few 'new' cabs have been placed in some parts of the country to provide FTTC services to EO lines ( Direct to exchange). You don't say where you are.

It is worth checking every couple of months.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Feb-16 08:37:42
Print Post

BT is £5 per month for the first year, I doubt you can beat that without moving your line rental elsewhere.

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User knicol46
(learned) Sun 21-Feb-16 14:43:06
Print Post

only join a provider that offers unlimited downloads solves the problem
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Feb-16 15:18:22
Print Post

Have a look at what ZEN have to offer you: https://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/

If you want much cheaper packages and unlimited usage then it's a choice of BT, Plusnet and if your exchange has LLU provision then there is Sky and [cough] TalkTalk.

A couple of resellers if suitable to have a look at are:-
http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited-premium.php

https://www.uno.net.uk/packages/soho-broadband/ (Edit: just noticed you'll need to add VAT to the prices)

Packages/bundles of broadband and line rental+calls from the one service provider tend to be cheaper.

I and my neighbours are connected to a 20CN exchange so can only get ADSL, most but not me use BT as their ISP although one person with a holliday home does use Eclipse.

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Sun 21-Feb-16 15:29:16)

Standard User leexgx
(committed) Sun 21-Feb-16 20:06:42
Print Post

[re: knicol46] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by knicol46:

not that simple (some don't buy enough capacity or have hidden FUP to slow you down)

Edited by leexgx (Sun 21-Feb-16 20:07:20)

Standard User nemeth782
(member) Mon 22-Feb-16 09:13:07
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by leexgx:
In reply to a post by knicol46:

not that simple (some don't buy enough capacity or have hidden FUP to slow you down)

It is that simple, he has a 5mbit line, none of the big providers will be slowing him down. Even if he maxes out his line non stop all month, he's only at 1.6TB. There are people doing that in a day on fibre.

Even AAISP, on their new 1TB package, only slow you down to 3mbit after that - which is not much of a slowdown for him.

OP, with a 5mbit line, I'd just go to BT/Plusnet/Talktalk. Possibly TT Business for better support.
Standard User kadi
(newbie) Mon 22-Feb-16 14:12:49
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
Have a look at what ZEN have to offer you: https://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/

Thanks for that - Zen look pretty decent and meet all my requirements so I've gone with them!
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Feb-16 23:51:21
Print Post

Very expensive choice. BT, Sky and even TalkTalk do not throttle or slow speeds down at peak hours. Also a lot lot cheaper. You can do all peer to peer etc with no slowdowns.

At only 5Mbps with any of the major ISPs you would never feel a slowdown. Hell I don't even get a slowdown on fibre optic speeds with BT.

Any ISP will be better CS than Eclipse that is for sure - I've experienced that before.

You can always reconsider though. If not, Zen will be just fine too - albeit pricey.

Also hear Plusnet isn't bad either.

We often exceed 1TB usage a month on BT, as we are a big house. I personally do not use the connection much nowadays, I am not really home much, but we have netflix 4K streaming most evenings in the front room which uses around 8Gb an hour and we stream around 3 hours in a typical evening. That's around 25Gb just from Netlix a day... Also have 2 PS4s and they download full games of 50Gb on the regular + updates. Connection never been throttled or slowed down on anything.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 22-Feb-16 23:57:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to