General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User virginuser
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 11:49:50
Print Post

Moving from Virgin

[link to this post]

I have Virgin BB (50meg, I think), basic TV and landline. I also have the old overhead phonecables from BT, not connected at the moment. Latest speed test shows 42.7Mbps on a Pc using ethernet (i.e. not wireless).

Generally happy but I need to look for cost savings - current cost around £42pm.

For TV, I would use a satellite dish and Freesat box.

For landline and BB, I would consider something like Plusnet. They offer 17Mbps, so the first consideration is 'will I notice the difference'? Normal usage is browsing and the occasional MP3 track, definitely not into video downloads, online gaming, etc, and I am the only user in the house.

I also use an iPad for browsing which, obviously, relies on a decent wifi connection.

Or, maybe, I could renegotiate the cost of the Virgin package! Anyone done this?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Mar-16 11:56:16
Print Post

Re: Moving from Virgin

[re: virginuser] [link to this post]

Retentions is an option, and if the 17 Mbps is the actual estimate for your address rather than the technology limit (which they advertise as up to 17 Mbps but for ADSL2+ will vary according to the distance from the telephone exchange to your home).

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/virgin/package/129...
Entry level Virgin Media with a phone line is £36.99 per month, so if paying more time to negotiate a discount.

In terms of is a connection of 17 Mbps sufficient for your needs, yes it should be and will support HD video streaming or gaming if your needs change.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-Mar-16 12:26:34
Print Post

Use this checker to get a full set of estimates for your address, and please copy and paste the table plus the line above it. (Removing your actual address). Don't use the pure postcode option as that cannot be trusted, and the phone number option probably won't work for you.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User virginuser
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 13:14:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you, but copy and paste is not working for me.

I'll keep trying in case I've missed the 'b..... obvious'.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-Mar-16 13:30:12
Print Post

The formatting will be yucky but we can work it out smile.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User virginuser
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 15:39:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The formatting will be yucky but we can work it out smile.

Sorry but I'm not having any luck with posting the results. Will try later, thanks anyway.
  Print Thread

Jump to