General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User xIC3
(newbie) Mon 07-Mar-16 19:05:12
Print Post

BB Only, ADSL/ADSL2+ recommendations?

[link to this post]

Hi, my friend has just recently moved into a new place. Before she was with Virgin Media which were excellent (no issues), I've helped her to sign up with Plusnet. But they were absolutely terrible, took 10 days to tell me that they don't know which line goes to the apartment then they've told me an engineer will be out in 3 days, after 5 days whilst calling them and wasting 3 hours on the phone I found out that no engineer was logged (the line was dead/no signal)...

Unfortunately Virgin is not available under new address, so what alternatives would you people recommend? She's only interested in BroadBand unless the phone will have some sort of good offer for calls to EU countries.

Budget p/m: £25 (Seems resonable? I pay £27 for 100mb)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Mar-16 22:28:27
Print Post

Re: BB Only, ADSL/ADSL2+ recommendations?

[re: xIC3] [link to this post]

Please could you give us the exchange? It tells us which providers are available.

Is she a heavy user? Does the £25 include phone line rental? £15 for broadband doesn't buy much once the first few month deals run out.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Mar-16 08:42:38
Print Post

Is the phone line to the appartment active now or not, when you plug a phone into the mastersocket/socket do you get a dialing tone?

plusnet user

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User xIC3
(newbie) Tue 08-Mar-16 11:32:35
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMSX

There's no signal once you connect the phone.

She uses streaming services for TV channels and Netflix.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Mar-16 11:53:42
Print Post

Looks like your friend would be needing a BB package with unlimited usage if she watches a lot of TV and Netflix especially if in HD.

What is the situation with Plusnet have you cancelled within the cooling off period?

plusnet user
Standard User xIC3
(newbie) Tue 08-Mar-16 12:03:26
Print Post

Yes, within the cooling off period and got a full refund.

Edited by xIC3 (Tue 08-Mar-16 12:14:43)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Mar-16 12:15:48
Print Post

Next job - check the estimates for her address. If the ADSL2+ ones are high, that's fine. If low, so her streaming may be dodgy, is FTTC showing in the table? She can get that unlimited from TakTalk for £27.70pm including line rental. Their ADSL2+ is free but line rental of £17.70pm required.

I'm not necessarily recommending TT, but both my brother and a neighbour have been on it for years and no trouble. Even with their CS.

You didn't say before whether or not the £25 budget includes line rental smile.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User xIC3
(newbie) Tue 08-Mar-16 12:31:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Only ADSL available, 25 p/m inc. line rental.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Mar-16 12:51:27
Print Post

Is that what the checker I gave you says, and what estimates?

Standard User xIC3
(newbie) Tue 08-Mar-16 13:00:24
Print Post

I checked via ISP's postcode checkers, yours and actually phoned them up to double check.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Mar-16 13:31:06
Print Post

Never rely on pure postcode checkers smile. The test itself advises caution.

The reason being that a postcode, even a street, can be supplied by multiple cabinets, but the database nearly all checkers are based on only returns one. Which may not be the relevant one.

The one I gave you for the full address is normally right, unfortunately in this case. You still haven't said what speed it estimates for the ADSL2+ though.

Any opinion on the free+rental for 18 months from TalkTalk, then £7.50 plus rental? Sky is a little more.

Similar from Plusnet. Expiring today but there'll be something else within days. - Oops!

Always check shortlisted ISPs for deals through Quidco and TopCashback as well.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 08-Mar-16 13:32:15)

Standard User xIC3
(newbie) Tue 08-Mar-16 13:53:28
Print Post

I've checked using your checker too.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/iqno2j7.jpg[/img]
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Mar-16 15:38:10
Print Post

That's good smile. There should be plenty of bandwidth at "up to 17Mbps" for the TV streaming and Netflix. If it had been 2.5Mbps she would be going to have problems.

I think if you exclude Plusnet then Sky or TalkTalk look promising, as does BT Retail itself. Don't forget Quidco and TopCashBack, and any store vouchers that tend to appear particularly with BT.

Standard User xIC3
(newbie) Tue 08-Mar-16 15:51:13
Print Post

Which one of those would you recommend? I really don't want to deal with rubbish CS again...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Mar-16 15:58:18
Print Post

When looking at the lower costs CS will always have potential issues. Most people will have no problem with CS but the cheaper the service the more likely CS could be a problem. Personally I avoid TT because of CS but they may have improved in recent times. BT I haven't had any particular issues with for CS but some have - same with Sky.

In the end the lower cost services will tend to have call centres dealing with CS who will not be the highest trained people.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Mar-16 16:03:35
Print Post

CS can be a problem with any ISP. Even one of the top rated ones, Zen, I have grave doubts about wrt their CS for home customers if Openreach turn sticky over a problem.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Mar-16 16:22:41
Print Post

There is no ADSL2+ and LLU provision in my exchange so the majority of folk in the small village use BT retail, you usually get directed to their CS is in India which for some is not amazing but for others it's not an issue, a lot depends on who you get on the end of the line when you call, I guess the same can be said of many of the larger ISPs even if their CS is in the UK tongue

plusnet user
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Mar-16 07:45:29
Print Post

It is odd that people use BT Retail based on their being no ADSL2+ or LLU. There are still a large number of choices even without LLU but I guess the BT machine is just so good that people don't realise there are other options?
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Mar-16 12:16:19
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

........ I guess the BT machine is just so good that people don't realise there are other options?

That is true in many cases around this part of the world.

plusnet user
Standard User Skilty
(member) Wed 09-Mar-16 14:00:46
Print Post

BT CS leaves a lot to be desired as does TalkTalk.

Sky has UK support and are pretty good to be fair. You also get access to "The Cloud" from memory. Currently £22.40 a month as they have an offer on and you get a £100 M&S e-voucher. 12 month contract

BT is £22.99 and you get a £50 mastercard, 12 month contract.

TalkTalk is £17.70, 18 month contract.

The other option is someone like Pulse8, their "XLHome Bundle" up to 17Mbps inc LR is £25 a month. This is a rolling one month contract.

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Mar-16 19:03:40
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Skilty:

But don't forget to go by the likes of quidco.
£125 for b/b & calls & £50 mastercard.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User Skilty
(member) Thu 10-Mar-16 11:59:14
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JohnR:
In reply to a post by Skilty:

But don't forget to go by the likes of quidco.
£125 for b/b & calls & £50 mastercard.

Indeed, also ensure you clear your cookies etc if you have been direct to the likes of BT etc otherwise you may not get the cashback from QuidCo...

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User bobmeades
(newbie) Mon 17-Jul-17 19:13:59
Print Post

Re: BB Only, ADSL/ADSL2+ recommendations? *DELETED*

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Jul-17 23:03:36
Print Post

Re: BB Only, ADSL/ADSL2+ recommendations? *DELETED*

[re: bobmeades] [link to this post]

Resurrecting a year old thread and a post that seems a bit spammy means the post goes

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to