General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Thu 14-Apr-16 21:04:31
Print Post

Moving on From Sky

[link to this post]

I'm an old 02 BB migration into Sky and currently on their unlimited Broadband package.

We get good Broadband speeds (synced at 18015), but considering a move to a provider that allows use of your own router.

Wireless coverage of the Sky router is not that great, so looking for an improved wireless coverage.

Not sure how much advantage there will be in moving to fibre in view of our good sync speed, but open to this.

Was thinking BT, Virgin cable or Zen, but Zen's recent speed issues and the increase in call cots have put me off that option.

Max price of £25 per month plus line rental and would like to keep call costs similar to BT (although the landline doesn't get used much for outgoing calls.

Any thoughts?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 14-Apr-16 21:06:29
Print Post

Re: Moving on From Sky

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Just use your own router with sky

As you migrated from O2 the username is install@o2broadband.co.uk and password is install

Edited by BatBoy (Thu 14-Apr-16 21:33:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 14-Apr-16 21:17:58
Print Post

As BatBoy says, or simply add a cheap Wireless Access Point. (If you have an old working wireless router such as the O2 one that can also be set up to increase wireless coverage).

I also suggest re your line and call costs that you look at Pulse8Broadband, which is where I moved my line to from BT. Rental £13pm including basic 1571, plus I pay £1pm for Caller Display.
(I expect that link opens on the Business tab, so click the Home one).

Calls are 1ppm in peak, 0.8ppm offpeak, billed by the second. No call setup charge.

IIRC BT Anytime package is £7? That's 700 minutes, before you start eating into the rental saving.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Apr-16 22:36:09
Print Post

If your connection is good with Sky, do not move, you could move to another ISP and face congestion etc and have a bad experience.

Sky allow you to use your own router, it's a myth that it is not possible, we can all help you set one up if you need smile
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 15-Apr-16 00:30:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Not sure my own routers are up to the job. Prior to O2 I was using a Netgear DG834GT. Sky replaced my O2 router because of performance issues, so it's probably better used as just as a WAP (but not sure the wireless was any better on that than my Sky router).

Edited by jaydub (Fri 15-Apr-16 00:39:59)

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 15-Apr-16 00:33:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Any recommendations on WAPs?

Will look into Pulse8. We don't use anything like 700 minutes so no need for an anytime package.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 15-Apr-16 00:35:56
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
If your connection is good with Sky, do not move, you could move to another ISP and face congestion etc and have a bad experience.

Sky allow you to use your own router, it's a myth that it is not possible, we can all help you set one up if you need smile

Good point.

Advice on the router front would be good (by PM if necessary!)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 15-Apr-16 01:05:38
Print Post

Using the Netgear as a WAP, if you can run a long Ethernet cable so it is in a very different place from the Sky router, the combined coverage might be fine. Just have to get the SSIDs and channels sorted.

Can't recommend a WAP sorry as I've never needed one.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 15-Apr-16 07:51:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

This was recommended earlier TP-LINK TL-WA901ND here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/f/4476223...

There's also a TP-LINK AP500 AC1900 Dual Band
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Apr-16 11:05:36
Print Post

If you want good range, it is better to get more than one AP in your home.

The Netgear Nighthawk R7000 I used, it was £140, the range was less than both a HomeHub 5A and a Sky SR102 router. Range is affected by legal requirements, and output power is capped. Hence the solution for range is multiple APs.

What are you looking for?
  Print Thread

Jump to