General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 24-Apr-16 21:59:27
Print Post

Any big players offer ADSL 2+ annexe M? How do uploads vary?

[link to this post]

I'm helping a friend choose a broadband deal. Being very close to the exchange (c. 400m) and not needing superfast speeds, it's likely a regular ADSL 2+ connection will suffice (but they'll go unlimited to avoid surprises esp with use of iplayer etc).

The exchange does have fttc too, but for ADSL LLU is offered by talktalk & sky too

Do any of the big players - ie talktalk, plusnet, bt, sky offer greater than 1.3 Mbps upstream ie Annexe M ? I assume they will max out at that speed or are some down in the 400-800 doldrums? (subject to line conditions of course).

they are very cost sensitive, I'm just trying to help them get the best value for money smile

Personally I couldn't do without FTTC, though my adsl speeds here are around 2 Mbps so it's a no brainer (had since 2010)

thanks
Nigel.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 24-Apr-16 22:08:54
Print Post

Re: Any big players offer ADSL 2+ annexe M? How do uploads v

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

If their ADSL2+ estimate is 16Mbps or lower then Annex M is a no-no. Approximately 2.5Mbps is lost from the downstream with no real increase in upstream.

The nearer to 20Mbps downstream they would get on Annex A the less they lose, and the more they gain on upstream. 20Mbps upwards it's a no-brainer to go for it.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Apr-16 22:23:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If their ADSL2+ estimate is 16Mbps or lower then Annex M is a no-no. Approximately 2.5Mbps is lost from the downstream with no real increase in upstream.

Very much depends on the line.

My Annex M line pre FTTC was 13Mb but still saw upload around the 2Mb mark and only lost a .3 on the downstream compared to Annex A.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 24-Apr-16 22:26:19
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Good Lord!

I was going by the (solid) rule of thumb for Be smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Apr-16 22:27:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There are no solid rules when it comes to copper lines...

but with that, you'll find better lines not seeing as much upstream but with a bigger chunk of downstream missing. Just one of those things.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Mon 25-Apr-16 00:15:33
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

thanks for the comments on annexe M, however I'm trying to understand what the major suppliers offer - what is their ADSL upstream max (with or without annexe M)

Thanks
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Apr-16 01:02:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by planetf1:
they are very cost sensitive, I'm just trying to help them get the best value for money smile

Given how much an ISP would charge for Annex M your friend would find FTTC (or ADSL2+) better vfm..
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Apr-16 07:49:23
Print Post

TalkTalk Business offer Annex M on their ADSL2+ services, you'd have to call them up to find out more as they don't openly advertise it on their website.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Thank you BDUK for bringing FTTC to the Scottish Highlands
TalkTalk Business 80/20
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Apr-16 09:50:03
Print Post

The max for consumer products is the standard ADSL2+ of what the line will manage so usually around the 700 to 800 Kbps mark

The Annex M is often only available from SME type suppliers, and can be more expensive than FTTC from big four or five suppliers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Apr-16 16:13:06
Print Post

If money is an issue then why pay extra for Annex M do they realy need a faster upload speed (line dependent) than the norm for ADSL2+?

plusnet user
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to