General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Wed 27-Apr-16 13:57:45
Print Post

Searching for new FTTC ISP

[link to this post]

Hi all,
My deal with Infinity 1 is now at an end and I'd like to move to a new ISP.
My requirements are unlimited usage, 12 month contract max, ideally 80/20 but happy with 38/10. Preferably no port blocking, aggressive traffic shaping or contention issues, reasonable price, no exit fee issues I seen some have, Good CS - don't nessasarliy need instant answer or 24hr cover, but effective and not a pass around the call centre/palm off type affair.

I've narrowed it down to the following:

Aquiss - Consistently rated highly. Very personal service by the sounds of it. Potentially exit fees?
Pulse8 - TTB backed, one month contracts but with £75 up front fee, but well priced Fibre plans with included line rental
Zen - Highly rated, seem to have their own backbone (if enabled at exchange, otherwise just like all the rest?)

From what I have read here and elsewhere, all of these piggyback on either BTW (BT Wholesale) or TTB (TalkTalk Business). Zen have no presence on my exchange therefore I guess they don't have their own back-haul here.

I see that TTB are well regarded as a backbone provider, just not retail. Does that mean that TTR do not use TTB as there backbone or is it just a customer service issue? i.e. performance on TTR is the same as TTB or do they run separately and have different SLAs?
In general, is there a preference between BTW and TTB?

Also, do Vodafone have their own back-haul? Saw somewhere that they acquired C&W. If thats true does that mean they don't use BTW or TTB? Vodafone have presence at my exchange. Are they worth considering?

I did consider Origin for a while but seems they resell plusnet who use BTW. Kinda put me off a bit. Too many hoops? Reviews mixed also.

Any others I should consider?
Thanks
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Apr-16 08:19:40
Print Post

Re: Searching for new FTTC ISP

[re: MrMoo] [link to this post]

The only time you might have a fee to exit is if you "Cease" the service (it is charged by Open Reach) but none should charge you if you migrate to another provider.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 28-Apr-16 09:56:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrMoo:
Hi all,
My deal with Infinity 1 is now at an end and I'd like to move to a new ISP.
My requirements are unlimited usage, 12 month contract max, ideally 80/20 but happy with 38/10. Preferably no port blocking, aggressive traffic shaping or contention issues, reasonable price, no exit fee issues I seen some have, Good CS - don't nessasarliy need instant answer or 24hr cover, but effective and not a pass around the call centre/palm off type affair.

I've narrowed it down to the following:

Aquiss - Consistently rated highly. Very personal service by the sounds of it. Potentially exit fees?

From the Aquiss website they advise:
If I want to end my contract, is there a charge?
Maybe, depending on what your looking to do. If you are not moving your broadband service to another ISP, known as migrating, there would be a £40.00 Broadband Cease fee. However, if you have decided to move your active broadband service to another Internet Provider (migrating away from Aquiss), no Broadband Cease Fee would be applied by Aquiss, as long as the new provider follows the correct migrating procedures. Of course, if there are any remaining months left on your minimum contract to complete, you would need to settle these in full. It should be noted that a Broadband Cease Fee would also be triggered if your telephone service is cancelled causing our broadband service to be ceased.

Pulse8 - TTB backed, one month contracts but with £75 up front fee, but well priced Fibre plans with included line rental

Pulse8 do seem to have some "unusual" charging schemes. However as noted under Section 9 of their T's&C's here
We do not charge cease fee’s
We do not charge migration fee’s for customers migrating to or from our service. To find out more about cancelling
broadband please call 0800 0428888 or email us...

I hope this helps.

CJT.

Awaiting new FTTC Install

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Thu 28-Apr-16 13:59:37
Print Post

I can recommend sky but you need to take their phone line as a lot of others

Don't know much about pulse8 or aquiss

Zen all i hear lately is about their sub par service and backhaul issues

TTR use TTB as long as they have a LLU presence which is most.

Vodafone uses C&W as long as C&W LLU presence is there.

Origin doesn't seem to have any connection to plusnet unless i've missed something they are both from Yorkshire though.

BT Infinity 2 - 80/20
BT Infinity 2 Speedtest
BT Mobile - 4G
BT Mobile 4G Speedtest

Edited by epyon (Thu 28-Apr-16 14:00:01)

Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Apr-16 14:51:36
Print Post

Can I ask why you want to move from BT Infinity?

You will find if you call their Customer Options team they will give you a retention offer including upgrading you to the new 55/10 tier on Infinity 1 and it may be worth considering any offer they make against the alternatives..
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Apr-16 15:35:42
Print Post

I see that TTB are well regarded as a backbone provider, just not retail. Does that mean that TTR do not use TTB as there backbone or is it just a customer service issue? i.e. performance on TTR is the same as TTB or do they run separately and have different SLAs?
In general, is there a preference between BTW and TTB?

The network is the same in regard to ADSL and VDSL. TTB's products do offer different SLAs have also have additional care levels which I don't believe the retail side offer.

I did consider Origin for a while but seems they resell plusnet who use BTW.

+ and Vodafone.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Thu 28-Apr-16 15:36:04)

Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Thu 28-Apr-16 18:25:33
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

Thanks CJT, I think it was a forum comment that alerted me to this and saw that in the t&c, but didn't pay attention to last bit. No fee if migrating to another provider.

As for Pulse8, it seems the trade off for no contract is the £75 up front fee. Mind you, a lot cheaper than having to buy out a 12 or 18 month contract if it goes t**ts up!

After researching Voda, it appears there are a few technical issues with their router and migration process in general that is a little concerning. Also seems the customer service follows the Mobile model :-/

Edited by MrMoo (Thu 28-Apr-16 18:29:11)

Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Thu 28-Apr-16 18:37:21
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
I can recommend sky but you need to take their phone line as a lot of others

Don't know much about pulse8 or aquiss

Zen all i hear lately is about their sub par service and backhaul issues

TTR use TTB as long as they have a LLU presence which is most.

Vodafone uses C&W as long as C&W LLU presence is there.

Origin doesn't seem to have any connection to plusnet unless i've missed something they are both from Yorkshire though.

Was with Sky before. Maybe should consider again but got the t-shirt and there were a couple of issues during my stay with them. Just not sure about going back.

Seeing the same about Zen. Seems a shame as they have a long standing good rep like plusnet used to (or force9 before that if you're old enough to remember!). Hope Zen aren't going the same way.

Origin seem to get a bit of negativity when you look a little deeper. But as with all service providers, you'll always find negative reviews if you look for them. Its just how many!

The link to plusnet was a comment about Origin using Plusnet using BT. I think it was on the lines of PN are owned by BT and the deal with Origin was via plusnet to BTW. Not sure if that makes any difference though.
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Thu 28-Apr-16 18:39:47
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Uno was on the list too due to very positive ratings, but lack of unlimited at the moment put me off. Seems a great ISP otherwise.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Apr-16 19:32:12
Print Post

That'll come when we launch our TTB based FTTC service smile

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to