General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User broadbandcat
(newbie) Sun 08-May-16 16:08:56
Print Post

Cancelling Sky Fibre in Cooling Off Period, What Happens?

[link to this post]

So I ordered Sky Fibre and 12 hours later BT Infinity went on offer. It's now nearly the same price, 50mb instead of 38mb and their router is gigabit and ac, whereas Sky's isn't.

So I am sitting here wondering if I have made the wrong choice and if I should cancel and order BT.

If I do cancel Sky and I letting myself in for trouble?

What happens? Do I fall back to my original provider (Plusnet), then I can order BT? Or is there likely to be downtime in between? I suppose I am worried the line could be cut off or something, then there might be fees.

I'm also not sure how fast the cancellation would happen and how soon I will be able to put in n new order. I wanted to check speed estimates on the BT website and it won't let me go too far through the progress because it say I have a broadband order with another company in progress.

I am sure I am still in the cooling off period. I have 11 days till it's due to be activated and Sky have not posted the router yet. I feel like I've made a pigs ear of this, but it's really a case of horrible timing.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 08-May-16 16:42:21
Print Post

Re: Cancelling Sky Fibre in Cooling Off Period, What Happens

[re: broadbandcat] [link to this post]

Use www.dslchecker.bt.com to get a speed estimate
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-May-16 18:04:04
Print Post

Worth reviewing my thread before you assume the HH is all singing and dancing.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/f/4479323-homehu...

I would just get a better router if you feel the need, the difference between 40 and 55 is not that big, I doubt you will "feel" any real world difference.

& Yes there could be downtime, as presumably Sky will place a cease order on your line.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 08-May-16 18:05:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 08-May-16 21:43:43
Print Post

The migration system allows you to cancel for any reason, which you do not need to disclose, just that you have changed your mind would do. But you could tell them it's the 52Mbps issue if you want. That would be consumer pressure to increase theirs.

Cancelling with Sky should result in Plusnet being notified, but it might be wise to tell them if you do so.
22.5 When the Customer enters into a contract for the provision of Communications Services, the Gaining Provider must allow the Customer to terminate the contract from the point of sale to the completion of the Transfer Period without charge or any other form of compensation being required to be given by the Customer to the Gaining Provider.
22.6 The Gaining Provider must have procedures in place to enable the Customer to exercise their right to terminate their contract pursuant to Condition 22.5 without unreasonable effort. These procedures must include the ability to contact the Gaining Provider to terminate the contract by any of the following contact methods:
(a) telephone
(b) e-mail;
(c) post.
Ofcom General Conditions 2014.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-May-16 09:08:19
Print Post

If the migration is still going through and you are still connecting with your old provider then there should not be any down time, all that will happen is the migration will be stopped (as long as its got more than a day to go) then you will say with your current provider.
It may take 24 hours for the orders to clear off the BT systems before you can place the order with BT Retail.
When the new sky router turns up refuse it otherwise you may have to pay return postage to get it back to them.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-May-16 10:19:38
Print Post

Oh I mis-read your initial post. If you are still on Plusnet you can cancel just fine smile

The ISP will fall back.
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Tue 10-May-16 11:26:02
Print Post

And when you do cancel, get Sky to CONFIRM this in writing.

I've heard someone cancelling within their 14 days period, and Sky still migrated them over anyway! Was a hassle to resolve it, but thought I'd mention this...

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User broadbandcat
(learned) Sun 15-May-16 13:56:05
Print Post

Thank you all for the replies and patience. They were all so greatly appreciated and I gave them a lot of thought.

I've been going round in circles about this for the last week, with ever changing timed BT offers etc. It's hard to make a decision when things won't stand still. Especially when it would take 48 hours to cancel probably, then the offer may well have changed again by then. That really put me off BT.

Yesterday I saw an offer for 76mb SSE fibre for £21 a month. Which is amazingly cheap. Did some research into that and decided the traffic management/Daisy part sounded frightening. But remembered that Plusnet said they would match SSE's reduced price last year when I pushed them.

Read some more about Plusnet's traffic management and sounds like it suffers from the same problems my ADSL does now.

I'm happier with Sky's traffic management policy. So rang Sky's retentions team and asked them if they would match the SSE offer.

They offered me 38mb for £22.40 or 76mb for £32.40 including line rental.

That makes 76mb not far off the price of BT's 52mb, which I thought was pretty good.

I actually ended up staying on the 38mb package, because it seemed so cheap, though the 76mb was so tempting. I am not really sure I need it. I also still wonder if they 38mb will be upgraded to 52mb at some point, then I would have regretted it.

I'll just have to wait and see if it pans out okay now! It should be activated on Thursday.

So TL:DR;, if you're after the Sky Pro package, it' worth haggling with them and or asking them to match SSE. I hope that information might help someone else.
  Print Thread

Jump to