General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User richard_5421
(experienced) Sat 14-May-16 07:20:56
Print Post

Moving house and new line charges

[link to this post]

I currently have BT broadband, I had a nightmare with BT once setup, 3 new routers and no stable internet for 3 month's after setup. However they finally admitted there was a fault with the exchange. It has worked really well since.

I am moving house next week and currently half way through the 12 month contract, if I want to keep BT they want to change a £130 for a new line, as the property is brand new.

Can I get out of this contract under clause, unable to supply product at new address, due to new line installation?

Currently new BT customers benefit from £30 new line on their website, in my current property I already had a working line so I did not require one previously, also sky can offer a new line at £20.

If BT can renew another 12 month contract I would be happy however, I think new line activation fees are a bit steep

Edited by richard_5421 (Sat 14-May-16 07:22:12)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-May-16 09:36:53
Print Post

Re: Moving house and new line charges

[re: richard_5421] [link to this post]

The line charges vary due to the competition so its a case of picking the deal that works best for you.

Offering a lower price as an incentive to gain a new customer is not illegal. A brand new property means a fair bit of work to get a line to it, and if Sky is willing to underwrite the wholesale charges, i.e. make a loss then that is their choice.

Suspect yes if you allow a new 12 month contract the cost will come down with BT, remember Sky is a 12 month contract anyway.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-May-16 07:47:57
Print Post

Can I get out of this contract under clause, unable to supply product at new address, due to new line installation?

Very unlikely because BT aren't causing the break in the contract, you are.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 17-May-16 22:26:18
Print Post

Quick question for you...

What BT Broadband service do you have? ADSL (Standard Broadband) or Infinity (Fibre)?

If you look at Page 3 here the terms state:

New Installation - Line Rental (All Customers) £130.
Infinity Broadband and Calls Package (New Install / Working Line Takeover *New/Existing Customer or Home Move*) £0.00
Copper Broadband and Calls Package - New Installation £30 / Working Line Takeover £0.00

The above is based on the information stated in the BT Phone Tariff link.

CJT.

Awaiting new FTTC Install
  Print Thread

Jump to