General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Sun 15-May-16 09:40:07
Print Post

Looking for ISP with higher than 2mb upload on 40mb service

[link to this post]

It is time to start looking for a new provider as my contract is due to expire. I am with PN and my connection will be dropped from 20mb upload to 2mb. My wife works from home occasionally and the 20mb upload has been a godsend for her. I am hoping there are still ISP's out there that still offer more than the 2mb upload (not necessarily 20mb, 10mb would be okay) on a 40mb service. If so, any recommendations please? Not really wanting to go back to Sky though, although we had no problems with them before.

Thanks

Mark

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-May-16 09:58:59
Print Post

Re: Looking for ISP with higher than 2mb upload on 40mb serv

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

Almost any of the FTTC providers who are not PlusNet and TalkTalk sell the 40/10 as their entry level (BT Retail is a 55/10 service).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-May-16 10:11:26
Print Post

Are you sure your upload speed will drop - surely the contract will just change to a rolling one - unless you make any changes to your line?

But as has been said, virtually all ISPs offer a minimum of 10MB upload apart from Plusnet and Talktalk.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-May-16 10:42:46
Print Post

Talktalk Business sell just the 80/20 variant and they're currently offering this for half price for 12 months. Unlike TT residential their support is Warrington based and it's pretty good too smile

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Thank you BDUK for bringing FTTC to the Scottish Highlands
TalkTalk Business 80/20
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Sun 15-May-16 13:18:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

For some reason I was under the impression that isp's limited upload to 2mb. Gives me more options now then smile

Thanks

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-May-16 14:42:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Discus:
For some reason I was under the impression that isp's limited upload to 2mb. Gives me more options now then smile

Thanks
No, the 2mb upload is actually one of the Openreach VDSL products they sell to ISP's
The 40/20 that plusnet sold was in fact the Openreach 80/20 product but they internally capped using their Shadow IP profile But they have no way of capping the upload

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 15-May-16 14:46:11)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-May-16 09:55:10
Print Post

BT, Sky, Zen, IDNet, Pulse8, AAISP, Entanet resellers

Basically if you go down the list at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps.html and avoid TalkTalk consumer and PlusNet you can see the product upload speed for the VDSL2 services and the majority are the up to 10 Mbps variant

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-May-16 14:00:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Discus:
I am with PN and my connection will be dropped from 20mb upload to 2mb.
Only if you choose to sign up for a new package. If you do nothing your contract just changes to a rolling monthly contract. If you're happy with the cost and features of your current package there's no need for you to do anything and nothing will change. I've been on a rolling monthly contract for nearly a year now, albeit 80/20.

There just hasn't been a good reason to change and at least should such a reason turn up I can change without having to terminate my contract.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 16-May-16 14:01:24)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-May-16 14:54:02
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Unless he was on a retention deal, in which case I agree he should be able to stay on 40/20, but he could find his charges rise. Maybe for both FTTC and line.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to