General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User soziblewuup
(learned) Thu 02-Jun-16 12:09:05
Print Post

ISP - ISP Router with Bridge Mode

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I've just been informed we are now Fibre FTTC enabled in my village - eventually! (the woes of rural living).

I'm now shopping around for the best ISP to go with. I think the main factor in my decision will be whether the shipped ISP Router is able to be be configured to bridge mode. I have a nighthawk R7000 router that doesn't have a built in modem. In order to save having to buy a dedicated modem, I was wondering whether anyone has any knowledge of the standard ISP Routers. I seem to have read Openreach no longer supply free modems.

UK options include, ZEN, SKY, BT, VIRGIN, PLUS NET etc.

Any advice would be great.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Jun-16 12:39:57
Print Post

Re: ISP - ISP Router with Bridge Mode

[re: soziblewuup] [link to this post]

Virgin Media is cable broadband and not FTTC so not relevant

The Sky Hub, Plusnet Hub One and BT Home Hub definitely don't have a bridge/modem mode, and don't think the Zen router does either.

So its either chase a Huawei HG612 from eBay or use something like the TP-Link W9970 in its modem/bridge mode. The key is that you ideally want a modem that supports Vectoring and G.INP.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Thu 02-Jun-16 12:46:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrSaffron

Thanks for the response. I'll take a look at the two suggestions.

After I posted this I spoke with Zen support who informed me their new Fibre Router ZYXEL VMG 1312 can be put into bridge mode within the admin centre. The support guy said they have a number of customers who use this router in modem only mode. Definitely an option to consider I would imagine.

Edited by soziblewuup (Thu 02-Jun-16 12:47:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(learned) Thu 02-Jun-16 12:50:31
Print Post

[re: soziblewuup] [link to this post]

Just had a look at the TP Link. Like the look of that. I currently have the W8960N in place as a modem for my ADSL connection, so would essentially just be an upgrade.
  Print Thread

Jump to